Nissan Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1997 200sx SE automatic. For the past couple weeks I noticed an increase in hesitation in my acceleration. Now for the past 5 days it has been really bad. It is to the point where I can put the pedal all the way to the floor and it takes a good 2-4 seconds before it will even accelerate, it will act like it wants to but will take awhile. Unfortunately, I am college in which I have no garage or tools to work on my car. I am going home this weekend. I have searched and I am going to try using a fuel system cleaner to start off with, to see if the injectors are clogged, then I may change the fuel filter. I also think I might try cleaning the throttle body, clean egr valve/tube, and check the vaccuum lines although I am not quite sure on how to do that. Also is there anyway I could check the fuel pump to make sure it is at the right fuel pressure? If you guys have any other ideas why it would be doing this, I would appreciate any input. Thanks in advance.

·
absolutely classic
455 Posts
norm200sx said:
I have a 1997 200sx SE automatic. For the past couple weeks I noticed an increase in hesitation in my acceleration. Now for the past 5 days it has been really bad. It is to the point where I can put the pedal all the way to the floor and it takes a good 2-4 seconds before it will even accelerate, it will act like it wants to but will take awhile. Unfortunately, I am college in which I have no garage or tools to work on my car. I am going home this weekend. I have searched and I am going to try using a fuel system cleaner to start off with, to see if the injectors are clogged, then I may change the fuel filter. I also think I might try cleaning the throttle body, clean egr valve/tube, and check the vaccuum lines although I am not quite sure on how to do that. Also is there anyway I could check the fuel pump to make sure it is at the right fuel pressure? If you guys have any other ideas why it would be doing this, I would appreciate any input. Thanks in advance.
I noticed you didn't mention the spark plugs, cap, and rotor. I would check those before tearing apart the intake and EGR systems.

There seems to be some controversy about using fuel additives. In my opinion, they don't do much, and may actually harm injectors.

To check fuel pressure... buy a gauge or take it to a mechanic. Download the FSM in the B14 section of this forum, it can be a great help.

Edit: To check your vacuum lines, just follow the lines around the throttle body, EGR area. If you see any ends that are rotted or are loose, replace or repair as needed.

·
Registered
450 Posts
It is to the point where I can put the pedal all the way to the floor and it takes a good 2-4 seconds before it will even accelerate, it will act like it wants to but will take awhile.
I had a similar problem for years. When warm, car would stumble/hesitate when accelerating after stopping, or sometimes just starting a warm car. I cleaned the throttle body, Idle Air Control Valve, and changed the fuel filter. It took care of most the the problems. On you car, the IACV is part of the throttle body (I believe). Do a search, some pictures of specific location are posted. My problem was carbon build up, causing the IACV to not respond properly. I used a $3.00 can of Throttle Body Cleaner,an old tooth brush, and $15 fuel filter. I did this after a full tune-up: (Plugs, cap, rotor, PCV, and O2 sensor), did not address this problem. Fuel injector cleaners did not help either.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks alot for the input, yeah, I totally forgot to check plugs, gap, wires, and distro. I usually keep the plugs very clean though and try to stay on top of maintenance. Hopefully I will find a cure for this by the end of the weekend. Thanks again for your help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts