Nissan Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 227 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Many of you have your views on the SR vs. RB engine swaps. I can not speak from experience on the SR swaps, but I can on the RB swaps and I can provide information that may change the way you think.

I get extremely aggrivated reading about how people say the RB swap is too expensive or that it is too hard to do, or that you can't find parts, because all of that is not true.

The RB series engine is the soul of Nissan. It is the strongest engine ever built by man. The Nissan Skyline block is among the only blocks in the world never to have been blown. It has sustained over 2200 HP with nothing being done to the block.

The RB engines are also light for their size, having similar displacement to the KA24DE motors, they weigh relatively the same. After removing the AC condensor they are practically the same.

A common RB engine can be purchased through anyone that buys and imports engines. I can get the RB20DET, RB25DET, and RB26DETT clips for little cash. The RB20DET clips run just $2250, RB25DET clips just $3000, and the RB26DETT clips are close to $5,000. Match that price against their potential and you have a winning combination, especially when people want $2750-$3500 for a SR20DET clip.

Another common mistake is thinking the RB engines are solely AWD, though this can be done simply (when having a clip) in a 240SX, it is not the case. (and to mister know it all who thinks that there aren't AWD 240's or in Japan the Silvia/180, think again!. Ever heard of the BlueBird? Came with 231HP stock and a top mount intercooler...AWD tranny and was in the 180SX rally cars???) The two most popular for the swaps are the RB20DET and the RB25DET which both came with RWD transmissions (unless you have the GTS-4 which came with AWD and the RB20DET engine).

Now, as far as power goes, the common red top SR20DET pumps out a good 275 with the stock turbo. The RB20DET pushes up to 350 easily with the stock turbo, the RB25DET pushes easily to 400 with the stock turbo, and the RB26DETT pushes up to 500 with the stock turbos. The torque on the RB engines (the stuff that really matters since hp is an imaginary number derived by torque and rpm) is also greater on the RB series engines. Better torque, better speed.

Installation on the RB engines is relativey the same as the SR20DET's. They both use the stock engine mounts and stock tranny mounts on the 240SX, however all that has to be done on the RB series engine for the tranny mounts to line up, is to dis-assemble the tranny mount, turn it around, and re-assemble it. The only difference here on installation is that the RB engine is longer, so the stock engine fan cannot be used without radiator relocation (this is why you get dual power fans)($100) and you need to have a new driveline made ($400).

As far as parts go on these engines....they are both from Japan!!! That means all parts are ordered from Japan!!! Anyone that carries Trust (Greddy), HKS, Blitz, Apexi, or whatever, has access to these parts. I myself am a dealer in these parts, both new and used. Just as well, the stock parts on the car are easy to come by. The RB20DET and RB25DET both use the same clutch as a non turbo 90's model 300ZX. They also use the same oil filter!

Now when comparing the two....SR20DET clip for $3,000. RB20DET clip with driveline and fans - $2750, RB25DET clip with driveline and fans - $3,500. Come on people, which makes more sense? A SR20DET has rarely, if ever, been taken over 1000hp. I believe the strongest made was around 600HP by Signal. The RB engines have been taken over 1000HP as a daily thing in Japan. Which engine has more potential? Just think about it and equate the costs, you'll see that by putting a RB engine in, you can have a much faster car.

Also, I have a RB25DET in my 240SX...I was one of the first to do it. I run a 12 in the quarter mile at stock boost (7psi) How many SR20's can come close to that being stock??? Absolutely none.

·
0 Posts
hey where do you get those rb20det clips for 1750...please give me info on this...thank you

S

·
0 Posts
well...

if everything u say is true. i dont see y not to get a RB instead. where are a couple places to buy RB's from? i cant find anything. also what was your ET? thanks...

·
05-06 NF FF CHAMPION!
3,960 Posts
You my friend, are a liar ...do you even know how to fit a inline 6 on a mount designed to hold an inline4...you understand you also need to extend the hood and chassis?

A NEW RB26DETT IS A 15K EVEN IN THE COUNTRY OF JAPAN

THE RB26DETT IS NOT LIKE THE KA24
BESIDES THE .2 LITER DISPLACE MENT
2 EXTRA CYLINDERS
AND 2 FRICKIN TURBOS
ENGINE ALONE IS 15K

clip? CLIIP!?!?! are u talking about a mount?!?!?!

bluebird=ALTIMA

the RB26DETT didnt even run 300 hp because they had to limit it to 280 otherwise they needed to pay a luxury tax increasing the price by like 2x

if you my friend are not a liar, plz send pictures, dynos, and time slips to prove your 240sx has indeed a RB26DETT

D

·
0 Posts
Drift,

I dont know what you'd call a s13 silvia (1989 - 1992) in texas but i have had the rb conversion about 4 months ago.

I must say, going from a ca18de to a rb25de spun my view on silvias. there were a few minor problems to get it there like,

1) Mounting the engine and gearbox (transmission)
2) Radiator and cooling fan placement
3) Fuel pressures
4) Tach and Speedometer not functioning correctly
5) Air conditioning

All besides the aircon were delt with by using parts obtained form the half cut. the engine mounts from the R33 fitted to the silvia chassis as did the gearbox mount. A fuel pump was sourced and adapted to the slivia tank. Auto Electricians took care of mounting R33 guages into the silvia cluster (as the 4cyl tach couldnt read 6cyl signal same as the spedo). A thermo fan was fitted to the front of the radiator to reduce power loss and to free room in the engine bay. as for the aircon, as we say

"Hot in summer, Cold in winter, Fast all year round!"

I hope that comes in handy for Silvia enthusiasts - Peace!

·
05-06 NF FF CHAMPION!
3,960 Posts
downunder_drift

do you have pics, time slips, and dynos to go with ur post?
also how much did this cost you, 15k for a NEW RB26DETT

·
Registered
146 Posts
drift240sxdrag said:
You my friend, are a liar ...do you even know how to fit a inline 6 on a mount designed to hold an inline4...you understand you also need to extend the hood and chassis?

A NEW RB26DETT IS A 15K EVEN IN THE COUNTRY OF JAPAN

THE RB26DETT IS NOT LIKE THE KA24
BESIDES THE .2 LITER DISPLACE MENT
2 EXTRA CYLINDERS
AND 2 FRICKIN TURBOS
ENGINE ALONE IS 15K

clip? CLIIP!?!?! are u talking about a mount?!?!?!

bluebird=ALTIMA

the RB26DETT didnt even run 300 hp because they had to limit it to 280 otherwise they needed to pay a luxury tax increasing the price by like 2x

if you my friend are not a liar, plz send pictures, dynos, and time slips to prove your 240sx has indeed a RB26DETT
you say some really dumb shit. did the man say he had an RB26?? are you even aware that there is more then one type of skyline?? how much is 15K in japan?? car manufactures agreed to limit HP to 279 because they didn't want a HP war (fluck you talking about taxes???)there are numerous dyno charts showing GT-R's making more then 279 crank HP(stock) why does the Supra make more than 320HP stock?(taxes huh). i've seen photos (including Night's)of many RB powered S13's and they fit just fine minus the fan and shroud...
you really are a fool opening your mouth with statements like that. please do the math before you try to teach....why else would i of paid $4000 for an R33 GTS'T clip?????

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
DRIFT240SXDRAG = DIPSHIT.

Hey, you wanna talk some shit about the RB25DET swap? Give me an email and I will send you pics.

All you little people running around talking about stuff that you don't have a clue about, that's what my post was all about. If I could post pictures, damnit I would have. If you wanna see a pic of the swap without emailing me, go to http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?postid=499115#post499115 and sign up. You'll see a pic of the ENGINE IN MY ENGINE BAY.

Now as far as HP goes. In Japan they rated cars at 280 HP max. As far as bench tests go for cars, it is comparable to amps. A Kicker amp rated at 300 watts really pushes about double. It doesn't push what it says, that's just where it is rated at. The RB26DETT makes over 300HP stock - out of the factory on average.

Now, you wanna talk about mounts, lets get to it. Nissan made their engine subframe mounts universal for their RWD cars (Skyline, 180SX, Silvia, Fairlady - which means you can even throw a VG30DETT into a 240SX "Unstable-hybrids.com" has a picture ). Now upon viewing that little tidbit, tell me how it wouldn't fit since they all use different engines. They use the SAME mounts on the chassis.

If you want to extend the hood (damn impossible) and chassis, I'll let your dumb little ass do it. It's not necessary. The only thing that won't fit is the stupid little fan which is why you put DUAL POWERED AIR FANS in front of your radiator. Mine never overheats. At the same time, to make the hood close using a R33 engine subframe, all you need to do is cut a small portion of the hood re-inforcement, nothing else.

Now, if you also want to pay 15K for an engine, I'll let you. I sell the CLIPS, yes CLIPS (HALF CAR FOR YOUR KNOWLEDGE) for around $5000 (RB26DETT). I also sell the other clips, RB20DET and RB25DET, or I sell the engines separately with trannies. If you can't find them in Japan for less than 15K, you are pretty damn blind being how you can buy a R32 GTS-T Skyline Type M for around $1000. Do some research before you come back and try to hash this one out.

So now it is up to you. You can dare send an email if you want about 10 pics of the magnificent swap, or you can go on being pigheaded about the whole thing and think you are right. Choice is up to you, believe it or not, its either your own gain or your own loss based upon your choice.

[email protected]

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SOON2BDET - this one's for you

If you read above, you would see that I said I sell engines and clips. If you want either, let me know. Prices went up slightly do to distributors in Japan, but they aren't too drastic and results are still way better than the SR swap.

Night

D

·
0 Posts
You wanna know costs,

Half Cut (Motor/Gearbox/comp/loom/brakes) - A$2150
Installation of Motor/Transmission - A$0
Wiring And Dyno Time - A$2000
Holden VR Commodore Thermo Fan and Switch - A$210
Engineers Certificate - A$550

Total - A$4910. It didn't cost as much as first thought.

·
05-06 NF FF CHAMPION!
3,960 Posts
if its so easy to do it, then why aren't people making that swap instead the sr20de(t)???

NOTE: to all immature freaks, who are gettin all worked up over a silly post, get a life, its a debate not an all out war, we are all on the same side, The nissan side?

NOTE: keeping your composure is a key rule in these forums all language abuse will be taken in affect, i suggest you edit your post, i did to mine...

lets act like real men and not use childish language

N

·
0 Posts
I still rather have a CA or a SR because those motors were made for that car and putting a RB26 in it will disrupt the almost perrfect 53/47 weight distribution which the S13 is so well known for. plus the RB is a V6 I could imagine it is quite bit heavier and can posibly hurt the frame because it being such an old car and the HP of the engine produces could bend or damage the frame but that is jus my .02 cents

·
05-06 NF FF CHAMPION!
3,960 Posts
nismo180sx has a good point there.

(with the upmost respect) you guys gonna whale on him now for having his own opinion. my knowledge of the Rb might be small or very close to none but then again i'm learning from you guys...don't hate

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
NISMO180SX -

I am not going to whale on you, I have done enough of that for now. It is true, the CA and SR engines were made specifically for the 240SX. The 240SX does have a near perfect weight distribution, that is also true, however the 240SX uses a heavier engine than a 180SX.....so the 180SX actually has about a 57/43 distribution.

The reason that this is so, is that the SR20 and KA24 are very different in weights. That's why when swapping the RB25DET, you get about the same weight in the front. The RB25DET is .1L greater than the KA24DE, but if you take off the a/c compressor there is almost no weight difference, therefore you keep your perfect weight distribution.

The stock 240SX chassis and suspension was built to sustain 400hp, so the hp on the swap doesn't really hurt anything. After you get over 400hp you should do a few mods such as strut bars, anti-sway bars, etc...

Also, just for clarification, all RB series engines are Inline 6's, not V6's. The V6 that Nissan made was the VG30DETT which came in the Fairlady Z (300ZX).

Night

·
Registered
146 Posts
nismo180sx said:
I still rather have a CA or a SR because those motors were made for that car and putting a RB26 in it will disrupt the almost perrfect 53/47 weight distribution which the S13 is so well known for. plus the RB is a V6 I could imagine it is quite bit heavier and
the RB is a stright six
not all RB engines are 2.6 liters pal

S

·
0 Posts
i missed this b4

NightXCZ77 said:
SOON2BDET - this one's for you

If you read above, you would see that I said I sell engines and clips. If you want either, let me know. Prices went up slightly do to distributors in Japan, but they aren't too drastic and results are still way better than the SR swap.

Night
how much for RB25 clip? and is the rb25 a 6spd? i can use the mounts from the RB clip correct?

·
05-06 NF FF CHAMPION!
3,960 Posts
the RB25DET is a beutiful machine, Night's 240 is sweet hehehe:D

·
Registered
146 Posts
Re: i missed this b4

soon2bdet said:
how much for RB25 clip? and is the rb25 a 6spd? i can use the mounts from the RB clip correct?
no six speed in 25 form..

yep you use clip tranny mount

1 - 20 of 227 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.