Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
DNE's VZR Conversion
6,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont know if you all had this problem before but sometimes when i am driving with my A/C on i hear a small rattling sound every time i push the gas pedal down. I hear it coming from the engine bay area. it loud enough for me 2 hear. This happened a while ago and i ignored it but now it keep happening and is really annoying. It especially happens when it in hot weather.

n-e-advice 2 fix or you guyz still dunno what im talkin about.

·
Cone Dodger
3,093 Posts
most likely.......

it could be coming from your tensioner or idler pulleys, they tend to make noise, especially in warmer weather, and when you have the a/c on, it poses a load to the pulley, i have the same thing too, just too busy to do it, heck i even need to change tranny oil and drivebelts........

·
Ive got a pickle 4 an arm
340 Posts
i don't know but i can say i get a creaking noise in my right rear suspenson. like you it mostly happens in hot weather. and the hotter it is the more noise it makes its just a snap-creak that happens everytime the suspension moves. but the catch is that the shock doesn't seem to be blown, the car doesn't jump up and down. it just makes that annoying noise. doesn't happen in temps below 80.

·
DNE's VZR Conversion
6,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so do we need to tighten the tensioner or how about do we fix it?

D

·
0 Posts
Hey man i got the same ass problem!!!, i tried to post it once but no one knew what i was talking about, anyways mines makes noise when i drive it for a real long time and when i turn my ac on, going up hill, and when i tweek my auto pedal like one time when i was going 3500 rpm with the exhaust hella loud and i gently push the pedal and the rpm goes back down to 2000 when it does that i barely could hear my exhaust and the noise is even much louder... Hmm wierd i also heard it on other old cars

·
Registered
346 Posts
yo ScarCrow28

yo ScarCrow28 I know what the problem is because I had the problem myself, the rattling your hearing in your suspension is the spring moving around in the shock and not staying in the perch up top. Check it I was getting that same noisz from just the rears.....I had Eibach Sportlines and at the time brand new Tokico shocks. If you go to PDM-Racing.com (which had an extensive Nissan history as well) they have this product from Whiteline called coil wrap. You wrap all the "dead" or middle coils even while your springs are still on no disassembly is required and whala! NO MORE NOISZ! cool huh? the package to do two springs is $10.00 and there based in canada. Of course you could just go to an auto parts store and get some rubber tubing. Oh well the point is Noisz all gone!.....hope this was helpful....

·
DNE's VZR Conversion
6,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i have exactly da same problem as define sentra..

i head maybe 89 octane gas might help

·
340 Posts
Re: yo ScarCrow28

Sentra GTR-1 said:
yo ScarCrow28 I know what the problem is because I had the problem myself, the rattling your hearing in your suspension is the spring moving around in the shock and not staying in the perch up top. Check it I was getting that same noisz from just the rears.....I had Eibach Sportlines and at the time brand new Tokico shocks. If you go to PDM-Racing.com (which had an extensive Nissan history as well) they have this product from Whiteline called coil wrap. You wrap all the "dead" or middle coils even while your springs are still on no disassembly is required and whala! NO MORE NOISZ! cool huh? the package to do two springs is $10.00 and there based in canada. Of course you could just go to an auto parts store and get some rubber tubing. Oh well the point is Noisz all gone!.....hope this was helpful....
so i'm guessing you basically put a spring rubber in inthere. you know, like in NASCAR. cept for only ten bucks i doubt they do anything for handling. i'll difinetely check it out. i was thinking it may be comming close to time for a new shock or something its's a completely stock suspension. i don't think it has ever been changed.

now there is an idea. spring rubbers!?!?

·
340 Posts
that rattling noise could be the heat shields. all but the heat shield on my header has already rusted, rattled, and fallen off. when the ac is turned on the engine revs a bit higher for more power, annother belt starts turning and causes more vibration makeing the shield rattle against the exhaust. it goes away as you press on the gas and the engine smooths out. if you havn't replaced the exhaust system yet, they may be the problem. i noticed the hollow rattle after a one week recheck on my timing. when i hit the gas just right, or turned the ac on i got a rattle. i dont' have a tach so i don't know what rpm i was doing, but it wasn't much

·
DNE's VZR Conversion
6,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
my car ride height is stock.

heat shield .. iono.. dunt think so

it happens when i drive in hot temperature.

my timing hasnt been advanced. nothing has been done except my MAF adapter and filter..

and my exhaust.

·
Registered
475 Posts
"...i hear a small rattling sound every time i push the gas pedal down. I hear it coming from the engine bay area. it loud enough for me 2 hear. This happened a while ago and i ignored it but now it keep happening and is really annoying."

It could be a number of things like people have already mentioned. We had the same problem on both our Sentra's. We have no A/C so I'm not sure if my probable cause will be valid.

Has the sound gradually become louder over the past few months with more than casual driving? If not I guess you can stop reading. If so, your problem could be caused by faulty plastic sprocket guide spacers. This noise will be noticeable on the left side of the engine behind the sprocket cover. It may sound like it's lower in the engine or near the middle while you are in the car which is deceiving. You will hear a ticking/rattling noise that will ocassionally happen. Over a few months the noise will get worse and becomes more apparent when the engine is hot. Some days it may not act up at all untill the guides fall apart This is an apparent problem with pre 94 GA16DE engines (95 model for me in Canada). The plastic guides eventually wear and break (for us on both cars, around 110,000 miles or 185,000 Km's). When this happens the camsaft and crankshaft will be out of sync possibly causing damage to the cylinders. If left unfixed the timing chain, which is now slack, will eventually wear a hole in the sprocket cover causing extensive damage and oil leak.
For us it cost $1400 CDN to fix since the chain did make a hole in the engine. My father's theory of maintaining a car, don't fix it till it breaks. If this problem was caught earlier it would have been $750 CDN to repair. A few months later and the same problem appeared on my B13 Sentra although with higher mileage (197,000 Km's). Once the noise was constant, not happening occasionally, the car was shut off and left in the driveway where it still it. Can't afford to get it fixed right now but it gives me time to paint my calipers. Thankfully we have a second car and a van.

You can purchase timing chain replacement kits from:
http://www.courtesyparts.com/B14_TBKIT16.html

For further information check out this site:
http://autorepair.about.com/library/faqs/bl619a.htm

Happy tuning,
Greg

·
Cone Dodger
3,093 Posts
anyway....

the tensioners and pulleys need to be spun by hand, so binding or grinding can be felt, if none is present, just reinstall belts and apply proper tension, then like others said, it could also be a number of things........

·
DNE's VZR Conversion
6,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well as of now i put in 89 octane gas.. so far the rattling has disappeared. if i do hear it again. i will try 2 figure out wat is up

D

·
0 Posts
So....where is this So called "Sproket spacers" located? 95 SentraB13

1 - 20 of 23 Posts