Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I make sharp turns at low speeds, I hear ratttling noise from the front of the car. For example, when I reverse out of a parking space and turn the wheel anywhere more than 90 degrees, left or right, or going forward. It's annoying and very embarassing because it is loud. I hear it a lot from other "junk cars" so I really would like to fix it. It's hard enough trying to convince my friends and family that my 91 SE-R is more than what it seems. That rattling noise when I pull away from them just magnifies their suspicions about the car. Of course, I'm not trying to fix it for them, but also for me. Kinda like that noise when you put a poker card on your bicycle to hit the spokes, but 10 times louder. Vas ist das?

Peace
C-mo

·
Registered
61 Posts
Das ist die CV joint.

Du wolst ein neue axel.

And if you didn't catch that. You NEED a new axle on the side it clicks from. If it's been clicking for a while, you've been lucky, because those axles usually dry up and break soon after clicking begins.

R

·
0 Posts
I had one CV boot replaced on my SE-R and a year later, the dealer said the other front one is about to split open, so I better get that done ASAP....I knew it could lead to problems with the joint, and that's maybe what led to C-MO's problem.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Definitely get the boots put on and grease up those CV's. If the CV is bad get a reman axle and do the swap yourself. It isn't hard.

Brent

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I looked at it while trying to install new rotors and pads. Left one is quite dried up and cut open. I got my CHILTONS so it's possible to do a new axle by myself? Of should i try to replace just the boot? I was thinking of just replacing the boot and save up until I can get a reman axle. Or should I just get a reman axle now? Iono, tough stuff. THanks a lot

C-Mo

·
Administrator
1,075 Posts
Before replacing axles, if it really is a rattling noise check for loose exhaust shielding. That can be pretty noisy at low speeds.

·
Registered
92 Posts
if i remember a cv boot kit which is the boot grease and hardware is around 40 and a reman axle is like 100 or so, I got mine for about 110 i think, it was a long time ago so I am not sure. The swap is simple and doesn't take long at all.

Brent Meints

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just ordered my CV boot today and it was $19.99. The CHILTON doesn't make it look that easy, but hell, why not. I also saw "SPEED-I-BOOT" at the autoparts store and that looked really promising, except they didn't have one for the SE-R. Oh well, keep y'all in the low.

Peace
Thanks

C-mo

1 - 8 of 8 Posts