Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
I think I lost my mod-nes
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, here' swhat's wrong:
I've got a '97 Sentra GXE with 70,000 miles. Recently, it's started making a rattling sound, like the sound you'd get if the heat shield were ratting. This only happens when the engine is revved, i.e. I'm accelarating from a stop, and almost to the shifting point. (No tach, so I'm just guessing, but probably around 4-5000PRM) I had it in my garage lyesterday evening, and revved it to see if I could figure it out. I heard it, loud and clear, but I CANNOT figure out where it's coming from. Another weird thing about this is that it only makes this wound when it's warmed up. When cold, it runs perfectly. I'm not really concerned about this being my engine going bad, because otherwise, it drives and runs perfectly, but I would like to know what causes this, and how I can fix it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
mine does that too but it does it both at idle and at high rpms.

I'm pretty sure it's the heat shield. I normally get to 5500+ rpms before I hear it though, I always hear it at idle.
The sound is unmistakeable though, I'm 99% sure it's the heat shield.. and I doubt I'll fix it it's not hurting anything.

While we're talking about wierd rattling sounds does anyone else have wierd interior rattle problems? Strange things like my windshield and headliner rattle.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Mine rattles but only in a specific situation. I'm at a stop and I'm in gear and my foot is on the brake and my A/C is on. I'll hear something rattling in front of me. I started it up one time and popped the hood and stuck it in gear and engaged the e-brake and got out and listened for the sound under the hood (I trusted my e-brake to keep my car from driving off by itself), but I don't hear it under there, I only hear it inside the car, but it sounds like it's coming from outside. I have no idea what it is. It goes away when I either take it out of gear or turn off the A/C or start driving.

S

·
0 Posts
One thing it could be that is generaly overlooked is the engine mounts. Get it up on a stand and look at the engine mounts to check the bolts for security. If you still have trouble diagnosing the problem. Try popping the hood and recreate the driving situation(A/C on in gear slowly creaping foward) with a freind driving slowly walk next to the car and stick your head under the hood and listen for it.

·
Registered
327 Posts
flex joint?

my flex joint rattles when cold.after about 20 mins of running though it stops{well gets quiter}.Its the only thing I dont like about my exhuast set up.just another possiblity? that is if you got a flex pipe under there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts