Nissan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
everytime i start up the car theres a rat ta tat tat sound comming from the right side of the block where the timing chain is located, oil seems to be leaking on that side too?? Question?? could it be the guiding chain thats rattles, if so does anyone know how to replace the whole thing and stop my car from bleeding oil from that side... i replaced everthing from the valve cover gaskett and the oil pan gaskett..... HELP ME OUTS .... the bleeding wont stop!!!

lil vinny:mad:

·
Registered
339 Posts
That sounds like the chain guides... also, clean all the area with engine degreaser, wipe it off and check where the oil leak starts, that will allow you to pinpoint where the leak is exactly, also dont forget to tight everything in order so the valve cover dont "twist" and allow oil to escape.

·
Registered
475 Posts
If you suspect that the noise is your timing chain, then your timing chain guides are most likely worn. This is a common problem on the GA16DE engine and a rebuild kit can be found at CourtesyParts.com. The rattling could also be worn crankshaft bearings if the oil level was down far enough or perhaps if engine pressure dropped which may result in the bearings running dry. If the oil leak is not fixed and the level drops often and low the bearings will also score the crankshaft and eventually the beargings will grind to pieces like on my mom's Sentra. Since the crankshaft was not replaced, just the 5 main crankshaft bearings ($12 each) they failed again in 2 weeks. Hopefully for you SERialThreatz it's just the timing chain guides. In either instance, if left long enough it will cost a lot to fix because it will cause more damage to the engine. As with the timing chain on our Sentra, it was driven until it cam off which resulted in more damage. My dad's theory to fixing cars...fix it when it breaks. :mad:

Just check your oil often and get the car checked or fixed soon.

Greg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts