Nissan Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever i start my car cold in the morning i hear rattling from the engine for a couple seconds that then dissappears, what is it?

·
Registered
272 Posts
not knowing much about the engine I dont know if this is gonna b right , but couldnt it be like a million things ?
I get the same problem but mines when I hit the gas right after I get into my car (cold nights leaving my gf's house I dont wanna w8 like 5 mins and look like a freak while it heats up) I get a rattling/tapping comming from wut I think is the lower engine , not sure tho...

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Terran200sx said:
Whenever i start my car cold in the morning i hear rattling from the engine for a couple seconds that then dissappears, what is it?
All oil filters have an anti-drainback valve which is more or less effective. In the B14 engines, the filter is sitting with the screw-on base facing down, and if the anti-drainback valve slowly leaks, the filter can be empty by morning. There will be no oil pressure while the filter is pumped full, so the hydraulic valve lash adjuster is allowing large valve train clearances which causes a clatter until there is proper oil pressure.

Lew

·
Registered
34 Posts
Apparently changing the oil viscosity can really effect how much noise is heard on startup. A few people (in AUS) have had good results with replacing the hydraulic timing chain tensioner as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts