Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately I've been hearing a rattle type noise that sounds like it's coming from below the manual shifter. Is there anything under the boot/ or car that could be rattling? I thought I read somewhere that there is a heat shield below the shifter linkage?

·
B12 Enthusiast
844 Posts
The main heat shield is bolted pretty securely to the body, check that but also check the heat shields that are wrapped around the exhaust pipes. I have had issues with those rusting out and getting loose on both of my cars. Do you have a short throw shifter ? When I installed mine, I had to cut away part of the shield to clear the bottom of the shifter and I also used longer bolts with washers on the main heat shield to lower it a bit so the shifter control rod didn't rub. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
rattling noise

I, too, have a rattling noise when accelerating at lower speeds. In addition, there is a pretty severe rattling noise when I'm at a stop light or stop sign but in gear. Does this sound like a heat shield issue? What's the best course of action? Thanks.

·
B12 Enthusiast
844 Posts
probably is a heat shield.

2 options, 1) get under there and just remove the offender. 2) find the flange (or what is left of it) where the 2 shields were bolted together (that's where they rust out) . If there is still a flang left, you can squeeze the 2 together and run a self tapper through the 2 shields (not into the pipe) and use that to hold them together. worked for me on the other car and lasted until I got rid of it. if too badly rusted, see option # 1. :thumbup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts