Nissan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
What is Seven Ten for?
2,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys thing, Seems like it would make it alot easier, and I've been consdering it for a little while now.

here are the sets I'm looking at, yes they are craftsman and I know what some of you all think of Craftsman's quailty and I do agree, however sears is only 2 1/2 miles away so I've been going craftsman b/c of the ease of getting a new tool in just minutes if something ever happends.

set one
sizes: 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, 7/16, 1/2, 9/16, 5/8, 3/4, 11/16, 7/8, 1, 1 1/16, 1 1/8, 1 1/4
7 8 9 10 12 13 14 15 19 21
$85.00 (flat wrenches)

set 2
sizes: 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, 7/16, 1/2, 9/16, 5/8, 3/4, 11/16, 7/8
7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 18 17 18 19 21
$70.00 (25* offeset wrenches)

set 3
sizes: 7 8 9 10 12 13 14 15 19 21
$35.00 (25* offset wrenches)

set 4
sizes: 7 8 9 10 12 13 14 15 19 21
$25.00 (flat wrenches)

-----------
I like the last 2 sets over the 1st one because to reverse the wrench they have a lever for it, the 1st set you flip it for reverse.

I'm only looking at the doubble boxed set b/c I already have regular wrenches, this would just make it easier to get in tight spaces were a boxed end would come in handy.

Also the 1st set has more standard wrenches then I need or would ever use, so theres another reason I'm stearing away from that set.

anyways, feedback Im' looking for is, do you think its worth the extra for the ease of ratching wrenches and what set do you think would be best (I'm leaing twards 2 mostly) and why? 25* offset or straight? Leaning twards offset here b/c my regular wrenches are flat.

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
8,328 Posts
I've got 'em and love 'em.....but if you need to break a bolt loose that is really tight, don't use it. They have a tendency to break. I need to bring 2 back to sears to get them replaced.........but they're still awesome and I use them every chance I can!

·
What is Seven Ten for?
2,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BlankgazeX said:
i just got a set of craftsman wratcheting boxend wrenches that have a 180 degree flex head... thoe are so helpful!!!
I looked at the flex heads but they were a little higher in prices, plus I'd be getting less ratcething wrenches. If I didn't already have a set of wrenches I'd go with those starting out, however with the purchase of those, that would turn my regular wrenches into junk.

·
What is Seven Ten for?
2,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
chimmike said:
I've got 'em and love 'em.....but if you need to break a bolt loose that is really tight, don't use it. They have a tendency to break. I need to bring 2 back to sears to get them replaced.........but they're still awesome and I use them every chance I can!
that makes sense, another reason why craftsman is cool, I broke it, its my fault, eh, I'll probably break this one doing the same damn thing.

What do you think the flat or 25* offest though?

·
Whoa...
2,073 Posts
xbrandonx said:
that makes sense, another reason why craftsman is cool, I broke it, its my fault, eh, I'll probably break this one doing the same damn thing.

What do you think the flat or 25* offest though?
i can argue a case for either... what do you think you will use the most???

·
What is Seven Ten for?
2,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BlankgazeX said:
i can argue a case for either... what do you think you will use the most???
I think I'm gonna go with the offest because my regular wrenches are flat. plus the offest have the level to reverse, and the flat have to be turned.

·
Whoa...
2,073 Posts
xbrandonx said:
I think I'm gonna go with the offest because my regular wrenches are flat. plus the offest have the level to reverse, and the flat have to be turned.
good choice... if you have A bolt on the surface it will help your knuckles out!

·
What is Seven Ten for?
2,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BlankgazeX said:
good choice... if you have A bolt on the surface it will help your knuckles out!
yeah, it really just depends on the placement if iti will work or not, hpefully I won't hve a case where I'm in a tight space and I can't get to it withthe offest wrench. The flex heads look pretty cool, but I'd be getting less boxed end wrenches and spending more money.

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
We got some from sears that are boxed in and the head will move a full 90 degrees to the right or left.

·
What is Seven Ten for?
2,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
♣AsleepZ♣ said:
We got some from sears that are boxed in and the head will move a full 90 degrees to the right or left.
I saw those, they are quite a bit much more and as I said, it would be 90 for 8 wrenches, and only 8 sizes, when I could get 12 wrenches and 24 sizes for 70.

However the flex heads are pretty nice.

·
Will work for beer
2,696 Posts
It all comes down to what you're willing to pay for the right tools.

I can tell you, however, that those suckers pay for themselves the first time you ever have to remove an intake manifold from an Altima. what a complete, total PITA!!!!

I would also take a look at exactly the sizes you're going to need.. do you REALLY need the english and metrics?
If you work mostly on Nissans, then you only need 8,10,12,14,17,19mm wrenches. don't mess with the rest of them. I've found a few places where the 13mm has come in handy, but they're not OEM bolts..

If you work on fords, then you'll need the 11,13,15mm wrenches as well...

And don't worry about having to flip the wrenches over to turn them the other way.. if you get the wrench on a bolt and it's facing the wrong way, you still will have to pull it off to hit the lever. just turn the sucker around and go back to work.. you learn to angle it in the direction the open end is pointing, as that's the direction they turn (at least my NAPA GearWrench ones do).

and as Mike said.. be careful when doing any real heavy work with them. I've snapped a few of them breaking tough bolts loose.. usually it when I'm using them to back up a nut and hit the other end with an impact wrench, but still...

For the offset-flat issue.. 95% of the bolts that I've used these wrenches on do better with a flat wrench. the offset head just causes alignment issues when trying to turn the bolts, and the wrenches fall off easier when you're trying to zip a bolt down.

·
What is Seven Ten for?
2,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Matt93SE said:
It all comes down to what you're willing to pay for the right tools.

I can tell you, however, that those suckers pay for themselves the first time you ever have to remove an intake manifold from an Altima. what a complete, total PITA!!!!

I would also take a look at exactly the sizes you're going to need.. do you REALLY need the english and metrics?
If you work mostly on Nissans, then you only need 8,10,12,14,17,19mm wrenches. don't mess with the rest of them. I've found a few places where the 13mm has come in handy, but they're not OEM bolts..

If you work on fords, then you'll need the 11,13,15mm wrenches as well...

And don't worry about having to flip the wrenches over to turn them the other way.. if you get the wrench on a bolt and it's facing the wrong way, you still will have to pull it off to hit the lever. just turn the sucker around and go back to work.. you learn to angle it in the direction the open end is pointing, as that's the direction they turn (at least my NAPA GearWrench ones do).

and as Mike said.. be careful when doing any real heavy work with them. I've snapped a few of them breaking tough bolts loose.. usually it when I'm using them to back up a nut and hit the other end with an impact wrench, but still...

For the offset-flat issue.. 95% of the bolts that I've used these wrenches on do better with a flat wrench. the offset head just causes alignment issues when trying to turn the bolts, and the wrenches fall off easier when you're trying to zip a bolt down.
english and metric, HAH! Good looking on saying that you have to remove them to hit the lever, if your in a tight spot yeah I guess your right. As far as the odd sizes, 13, 15, ect I could always buy them by themselves IF they'd ever come in handy. I probably will just get the metric set, one of them at least, and if I never need indiviual wrenches where the ratcheting wrench would come in handy, I might just pick them up sepert. Sure it would cost more in the long run, however it would leave money open for projects to use them on.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Take it from a Full-Time mechanic... You DEFINETLY want the offset and the reverseable option.. I had a set of flats and they are Nearly Worthless compared to the others... And those without reverse will sooner or later get them stuck.. It happens more often than 1 might think. I Will ALWAYS have a set of gearwrenches... Of course mine are Snap-On and cost 4-5 times as much*** BUT*** Mine get used and ABUSED daily. And Sears doesnt pull into the shop weekly and give me Credit without asking questions...

·
Please Shift Here
6,696 Posts
well, offset wrenches must be reversable b/c of the design, it just make sense. The offset usually halps me, but it also sometimes works against me. In a perfect world, I'd have an offset set and a straight set. The only problem with the ratcheting wrench is it can never replace an open-ended wrench, especially in REALLY tight spaces and on brakelines.

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
xbrandonx said:
I saw those, they are quite a bit much more and as I said, it would be 90 for 8 wrenches, and only 8 sizes, when I could get 12 wrenches and 24 sizes for 70.

However the flex heads are pretty nice.

And talking about helping out getting the MAF off of a 300ZX now. That worked wonders.

·
What is Seven Ten for?
2,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ninety-Nine SE-L said:
well, offset wrenches must be reversable b/c of the design, it just make sense. The offset usually halps me, but it also sometimes works against me. In a perfect world, I'd have an offset set and a straight set. The only problem with the ratcheting wrench is it can never replace an open-ended wrench, especially in REALLY tight spaces and on brakelines.
yeah, I know it isn't ALWAYS gonna work, however there are times where I've spent 20 minutes getting a bolt off, because I could only turn it a tad bit at a time, then have to reset and start over, spending a minute trying to get the damn rachet back on there.

As for snap on, I have NO idea where they are located around me, sears is 2 miles away and they ask no questions, so it's that simple for me. Sure snap on is great, however craftsman is the simple way for me, I'll be ordering the wrenches in a little.

And as for wanting the 17, it comes with the 11, you can always buy them indiviually, even though the 11x17 is like $8 by itself, redicilous when you see the price of the whole set, but thats the point anyway to get you to buy them all.

·
What is Seven Ten for?
2,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok, so I went with set 3, even though these do not have as great of a ratcheting mecenism as the regular ratchet wrenches, they'll still save time and I really do enjoy the ease of using them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts