Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I've been trying to find a solution for this problem for a while now and no one seems to know what it could be, as it seems to happen almost randomly.

I am the proud owner of a 2004 Nissan Sentra 1.8 S. About two months ago I noticed that there were times where, if I needed to brake harder than normal, I would hear a noticeable knocking/popping sound that seemed to be coming from the right front wheel/hub area of my car. The sound is in sync with the rotation speed of my wheels/tires. My first thought was a brake issue, but after having an inspection done my brakes are apparently in fantastic shape... and to add insult to injury, the guys at the shop could not replicate the sound when they drove my car around. However, after the shop took everything apart for the inspection and put it back together, the noise stopped. I didn't hear it again until a couple of weeks later, after I had new tires put on my vehicle. As I was driving out of the tire center parking lot I noticed the sound again and this time it was happening every time I applied the brake, regardless of the pressure. I took the vehicle back to the tire shop and had one of the supervisors ride in the car with me to listen and he could hear it clear as day. Upon bringing it back into the shop and taking off the wheels, everything appeared to be fine, at least as far as the work they did. They only do tires so they are not trained to deal with anything else, but there was nothing loose and no noticeable debris or anything, as the supervisor walked me through everything and even let me inspect things myself. The vehicle was properly lifted also, so nothing was damaged underneath the vehicle. Well, after putting it back together, I almost never hear the noise again now. I have a couple of times but it is very rare.

Does anyone know what this sound could be? It seems like every Youtube video I watch with knocking or clunking while braking is a sound unlike mine, but they all seem to point in the direction of bad u-joints, cv joints, tie-rods, bushings, etc. My vehicle is obviously older and has almost 160,000 miles on it so I'm sure something is finally going bad or has gone bad, but I just don't know what. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
6,179 Posts
However, after the shop took everything apart for the inspection and put it back together, the noise stopped. I didn't hear it again until a couple of weeks later, after I had new tires put on my vehicle.
Exactly what did the shop take apart to stop the noise. Apparently there is something worn in those components.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does it do it when driving in a straight line or only when cornering? If when cornering, especially on a hard lock, it is likely to be a worn CV joint. If it is that, you can actually leave it for quite a while as they keep working for along time even though noisy. There will come a time when you do have to replace it. Fairly cheap to buy and easy to do. Will be a tutorial on here or elsewhere. I have kept driving with noisy CV's for 20 to 25,000 miles, just turn the radio up a bit louder!

Edit: Take it into a quiet car park and do a complete circle on full lock in both directions, if it is CV's it will be obvious.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The brake shop took apart all of the brake components on the left front and right front, inspected them and cleaned/removed any debris. I am not very knowledgable when it comes to brakes and all of the different parts so I apologize for not giving a more specific answer. I was also thinking something must be worn or wearing out but I don't know what it would be that would come and go like that. I have not heard the noise since the tire shop put everything back together for a second time a week and a half ago.

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
6,179 Posts
The brake shop took apart all of the brake components on the left front and right front, inspected them and cleaned/removed any debris. I am not very knowledgable when it comes to brakes and all of the different parts so I apologize for not giving a more specific answer. I was also thinking something must be worn or wearing out but I don't know what it would be that would come and go like that. I have not heard the noise since the tire shop put everything back together for a second time a week and a half ago.
Could have been debris that was wedged in the brake pad retainers; upon disassembly/reassembly, the debris was cleaned out. Over the years I've encountered similar situations. Good to hear everything is OK now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts