Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone attempted to make a ram air forced induction setup? I was considering it. It seems like it would be better than a CAI because if you run it from just under (or in your bumper) you would be getting cold air and ramming down your engine. I've also heard that if properly setup you can get a couple of psi out of it.

·
Icy Hot Stunta
2,366 Posts
mississippisent said:
Has anyone attempted to make a ram air forced induction setup? I was considering it. It seems like it would be better than a CAI because if you run it from just under (or in your bumper) you would be getting cold air and ramming down your engine. I've also heard that if properly setup you can get a couple of psi out of it.
Cold air has a much greater effect than ram air. You can only get a few mm/hg, not psi even with the best ram air boxes. It is still better than nother though.

Mike

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I know but if you run some kind of custom work and you are bringing air in from the same location with some type of ram wouldn't you get the best of both worlds? You would still get the same cold air but you would have more velocity to it.

·
Icy Hot Stunta
2,366 Posts
mississippisent said:
Yeah I know but if you run some kind of custom work and you are bringing air in from the same location with some type of ram wouldn't you get the best of both worlds? You would still get the same cold air but you would have more velocity to it.
Yes it sure will:)

·
Nissan Freak
462 Posts
well my friend
just get the CAI
look how it is located in my B13

so baiscally air is forced there also by the fog light hole
i keep the foglight whole covered cause the fitler gets water spalshed directly onto it and i dont wanna risk anythin
i can always unclog it hehehe

·
Icy Hot Stunta
2,366 Posts
XtremE said:
well my friend
just get the CAI
look how it is located in my B13

so baiscally air is forced there also by the fog light hole
i keep the foglight whole covered cause the fitler gets water spalshed directly onto it and i dont wanna risk anythin
i can always unclog it hehehe
To really ram it, it needs to be inclosed and air tight towards the rear, I found in testing.

Mike

·
ex-Super *********
1,410 Posts
Mike,
Explain towards the rear, are you saying like old cowl induction on muscle car where the hood scoop pointed backwards(depends on your point of veiw)towards the winshield?

·
Icy Hot Stunta
2,366 Posts
PatScottAKA99XE said:
Mike,
Explain towards the rear, are you saying like old cowl induction on muscle car where the hood scoop pointed backwards(depends on your point of veiw)towards the winshield?
No the airbox must be sealed. Just having the filter where moving air can blow on it is not ram air.

Mike

·
Icy Hot Stunta
2,366 Posts
PatScottAKA99XE said:
morepower2,
Thank you, thats what I was thinking, BTW do those old style cowl inductions really work?
They can work real well if designed right. The base of the windshield is a big high pressure zone.

Mike

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I heard they work well. I was talking about having a sealed system, you would need a good ram collector for trapping air though.

·
SLAVE TO THE GRIND
149 Posts
just for kicks you could mount a older z turbo hood scoop on your hood and mount filter into it...and to really make it "ram" just enclose it under the hood...

the scoop it self seems to make enough umphf(SP?)...and has a wicked sound to it...

if you would like a pic just email me...hehe..happy modding

·
Nissan Freak
462 Posts
PatScottAKA99XE said:
morepower2,
Thank you, thats what I was thinking, BTW do those old style cowl inductions really work?
the WS6 trans am has 15 or somethin like that ponies more than the non WS6

·
ex-Super *********
1,410 Posts
XtremE,
The WS6 does not have cowl induction. BTW have you ever looked at the WS6 ram air, the system is not sealed. There is not all that much "ramming" going on. I think the hp come from the fact that the air is a little cooler from that set up.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The WS6 has a better exhaust on it as well as the ramair hood (as compared to a regular TA). The additional horsepower isn't all hood/ramair.

The Brian Green ramair kit (for a WS6) seals up the airbox to the hood and reduces 1/4 mile times by 0.1 seconds.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts