Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I deliver newspapers as a second job and got caught with a flat tire in a horrendous downpour a couple days ago. I didn't realize my driver side window was down and as such the power window buttons got pretty wet while I was on the other side of the vehicle attending to the tire. Got back in and the passenger side window didn't want to move (the other 3 windows are fine). After 20 minutes and for the next 2 hours it did work occasionally but not all the time. At the end of the night it went up all the way but ceased working via the button thereafter.
The following day I pulled the buttons apart and checked the wires going into the base of the switch to see if there was power, tripped something and was able to make the window go down but am now unable to figure out how to make it go back up. Heavy thunderstorms forecast in the next few days could be an issue!
Anyone know which of the ~10-12 wires makes the window go back up? Someone mentioned i'd have to trip two of the wires simultaneously to make the window go up....any idea which two if that is the case?
I checked the fuses (two fuse boxes under the hood and one behind the coin box next to the steering wheel. Any more that are cunningly hidden I don't know about!) and was able to make the motor take the window back down so am as sure as I can be with my very limited knowledge that the switch is the issue (assuming the driver side switch controls the passenger side and it was the driver side switch that took the bath).
Any ideas/suggestions/comments welcome, thanks in advance!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I would use a hair dryer to completely dry everything - the motor, the switches, and even insided the door panel.

Only until it is dry, can you really diagnose the problem. In the mean time, I would suggest using some heavy duty plastic to keep rain out of the inside. Watch out for tape residue though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I visited the local dealer after looking for somewhere to order a new switch if and when I wanted to and not finding anywhere and the dealer is booked for the next few weeks. Think I'll just clean it out and dry it thoroughly and maybe wedge something below the window to keep it closed. (The plastic is getting annoying!)

·
Registered
430 Posts
water will dry off eventually on it's own unless it's puddled... in which case, it'll eat through til there's a hole.
you probably blew a fuse... or a relay. or plainly the motor solenoid or some other crap.
could be a wire that was corroded, now too corroded.

any one else?

·
Registered
197 Posts
This once happened with my old Nissan, I took off all the switch pannel and dissassembled it, sprayed it with WD40 and cleaned the board inside.
It workd very well till I sold the car!
Hope this helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts