Nissan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I am having a problem with my 1994 Sentra XE. The problem is that i keep having to replenish my rad fluid it sux's and is getting to frequent. I am not sure where this fluid is going, I do not see it leaking anywhere. I cant say for sure if it is going in the engine, though I checked my oil and it looks clean (other then it needs to be changed soon). This is not the stock rad, i replaced it with a rad I got from the dealer ship (200$ not so bad). Is this a known issue with older nissans? Is something going that I am not thinking of? I am considerding getting it pressure tested, though I do not want to spend too much money to diagnose the problem if its going to cost me 500$ to fix, the car is worth that much If i am lucky. Any ideas on what to check for?

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,239 Posts
Does the heater work ?
How many miles and how long have you had the car ?
what else can you tell us?
Check for leaks in the passenger foot well, water pump leaking ( can be only when hot when running.... no drips)
check all the hoses, there are lots of them, for swelling, cracks etc. Again they may only leak when under pressure when hot, but if its a hose it will get worse fast...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thank you so much for your feedback.

Yes the heater works very strong, though I can only use full blast (another problem on its own). At one point there was no heat coming out and i realized thats when there was no fluid. I can tell you there is a weird smell sometimes when I am driving and I think it is the rad fluid burning. Ok so interior leaks, I will start looking more carefully for that. The car has about 194,500. Should i get it pressure tested? Also would I do that after driving the car on the highway or somewhere where I can get it warm? I was told that theres a possibility that its leaking inside the engine. I doubt that, cause my oil would look abnormal. Also, could this be associated with my heating core?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hopefully it is just the rad hose (with a crack) expanding from the heat . If thats the case I will just change them. Is there a specific one I need to get or are there universal hoses?

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Thank you so much for your feedback.

Yes the heater works very strong, though I can only use full blast (another problem on its own).

Ok so interior leaks, I will start looking more carefully for that.

I was told that theres a possibility that its leaking inside the engine. I doubt that, cause my oil would look abnormal. Also, could this be associated with my heating core?
the Fan only blowing on high is the motor resistor, there are threads and pictures on the forum, search for "blower fan switch"

if you can smell it its leaking somewhere.

heater core leak will dump coolant in the passenger foot well

check all the hoses when hot.. be careful

the GA doesn't seem to blow head gaskets unless you over heat the engine. be careful not to run out of fluid.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Ya i came close to overheating when this problem originally occurred. Id say the temp gage was at 60-65 % Luckily it was -15 Celsius out side.That cold canadian weather was quite handy for me that day. How many hoses are there usually between the rad and the engine? I only saw two. The lower one is much harder for me to examine, probably requires a lift for proper examination. I will keep an eye out for the coolant on the passenger seat as well. What does the abbreviation GA stand for?

Would duck tape do the job lol? only temporary. I know it needs the proper hosing for the best functionality.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
How many hoses are there usually between the rad and the engine? I only saw two. The lower one is much harder for me to examine, probably requires a lift for proper examination.

I will keep an eye out for the coolant on the passenger seat as well. What does the abbreviation GA stand for?

Would duck tape do the job lol? only temporary. I know it needs the proper hosing for the best functionality.
Yes two main ones, but people here have reported issues with the small hoses behind the engine going around the block and to the heater, there are 5 - 10 of these....

the engine is a GA16DE

Look for coolant in the passenger foot well, lift the carpet

no duct tape wont do anything....you are talking about 220 -240 degree F coolant at 14 psi

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Eeeeee That sounds, expensive. The question is is this worth fixing for my car or not. Is this a big job to examine? How about to fix?

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
If you cant look for the leak yourself take it to a shop for an estimate and get them to look it over.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Whats sort of smell re you getting?

Is it comming from the engine or the exhaust? can you tell?

If its comming from the front of the car, it most likely a leak.

let the engine get up to operating temp. and check for leaks then, as the leak may be more visible when the cooling system is pressurised.

If the leak is comming from the exhaust, could be in a form of a mist with a sort of sweet smell, it could be the head gasket.
If the head gasket developes a small leak between water jacket and bore/cylinder, it will take time to see oil and water mixing.
First sign here will be the sweet smelling mist out the exhaust.

Another thing to watch for is...
If the water is getting pushed out the resevoir.???

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think it smells like the Rad fluid burning, definitely not sweat. It smells sort of similar to how it smells in the bottle. I imagine its coming from the engine. Sometimes when I drive for long periods of time and turn my heat on it emerges. Its really iffy for me to check for leaks now, lots of snow is evaporating, and the roads here are wet 99% of the time during this time of the year. But at the same time the cold is keeping the car alive for the most part.

Another thing to watch for is...
If the water is getting pushed out the resevoir.???

Where would this occur? inside? under the hood? exhaust?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Guys I cannot thank you enough for your assistance. I just took the car in on my lunch, had it pressure tested and it was the water pump. t. More or less, 250$ to replace, and for the test. I don't think thats too bad. Either way thanks again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts