Nissan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stock 89 Sentra with a GA16i. I will be racing my friend with a 96 Eclipse. I need help, I've got like 7 months before I have to race him and I have money to do about any mods. Is swaping the engine the only thing I can do?

·
Registered
672 Posts
hmmmm. well, u could swap in an sr20det if ud like, or you can do everything else to your engine. id suggest the swap , esp if u have high milage

·
CA18DET Wizard
1,366 Posts
How fast do you want to go? You want turbo or N/A? Your 2 best choices for this chasis is the CA18DET or the SR20DET. Both are great engines and capable of smacking up eclipses. I have a B12 with a CA18DET. HybridDET is another B12 owner that has an SR20DE-T motor. Like I stated, both are good motors one is cheaper than the other and both have pros and cons. (Pros) The SR20DET is a very good engine with a healthy power band and an abundance of torque and mated to the SE-R 5spd gearbox gives you low 14' to mid to high 13's. Also have great aftermarket support and if you spend a bunch of money you might could build a monster engine. Cons is the wimpy gearbox (will eventually break). Be prepared to spend money on a built gearbox or having your gears Kryo'd. Sr20 trannies are running anywhere between $400.00 - $900.00 depending on who's out to spank you. SR20DE-T (in stock form) should beat up little civics, accords, some mazdas, most toyotas (not all) and some nissans. (General) The CA18DET is a very unique and strange engine in which whom I adore because it's cost and it's ability to withstand a beating. The CA18DET's power band engages at around 2500 rpm and goes all the way to fuel cut at around 7500rpm or so. It lacks the down low grunt of the SR20 mainly because of it's cam design, but makes up or it along the way. It has proven to be an excellent supporter of highway battling suuporting my own B12 to a recorded [email protected] of boost. It is however a small displacement engine (1.8 or 1809CC) that fears no other engine. the gearbox of choice is a 5spd unit out of a 1988 nissan pulsar SE or you can get a JAP SPEC tranny from an older model CA18DET. Aftermarket support is not as abundant as the SR20 unless you turn to the big boys like HKS, JUN or Tomei. It all depend on what you want to do with the car. You want a quick street car get the SR20, but be prepared to sacrifice the tranny somewhere down the road. If you wanna roll with the big dogs (supra, 300zxTT, RX7) go with the CA18DET and the difference in cost between the SR and the CA you can start upgrading. i think SR20DET's run anywhere between $1300.00-$2500.00 and depending on who's going to screw you. CA18DET's run anywhere between $700.00-$1200.00 once again, depending on who's screwing you. Hope this helps a bit..

boost_boy

·
CA18DET Wizard
1,366 Posts
I'll say one thing on this list about what you need and that's money, patience, some knowledge about cars and desire. Your swap will be using all of the mounts out of the 1988-89 nissan pulsar SE which will include hyrdraulic clutch pedal, shifter and brake pedal as well as the gas pedal. It really isn't that hard at all. Both my cars have power steeiring and A/C and my tachometer is on the instrument cluster, not aftermarket.

boost_boy

·
Garage Sultan
1,173 Posts
Maybe throw in a little bit of NOS just for fun...
Everything else I would suggest has pretty well been covered.

If you want mega horsepower Go SR20DET but like boost_boy said, youll be putting a few new tannys in. If you want huge power with solid reliablitly go CA18DET.

If you wanna build the engine all yourself and have the pride of saying, my hardwork and effort kicked mitsubishis ass then convert the GA16i to a GA16DE.The go crazy on the internals, big rods, hot cams, port, polish, etc. Dont swap to a GA16DE though, its not worth it.

-Nick

·
Registered
177 Posts
good luck I try to race a 1996 civic hatch downhill and was beaten by at least 10 car space. a mitsu is even faster...............u need a 240 at least ........maybe a 2.4L KA20 in the sentra....th155HP and 160TQ.......only $200-300 on ebay cause no one like/want them.

·
Garage Sultan
1,173 Posts
Re: Converting

1989Sentra said:
How would I go about converting the GA16i to a GA16DE
SCC did it to a Honda not GA's but the Honda eqivalent. You need the multiport injection system from a DE and you need an ECU i think. Basically you remove the TBI (throttle body injection) that we go now and replace it with the multiport injection system. It probably wont help you beat a mitsu though... unless you hit it with a 50shot NOS.

-Nick

·
Soon to be GA16it
444 Posts
You have to remove the intake manifold of the ga16i and replaced it with the ga16de in order to use the multiport injectors and the throttle body. That is if the bolt holes are the same between the two engine. You will also need the ECU of the DE and wiring harness. If I have a choice I rather swap the whole engine cause you can use the same tranny and axles. I think it will be much easier. Check in B15Sentra.net, there is a member there where he is in the process of swapping his Ga16i with GA16DE in his B12.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Down to 2

Ok I think I've figured out what I'm going to do. I'm swaping the GA16i with either a CA18DE or a CA18ET. I have have a thread up telling about each of the engines I have found in the Naturally Aspierd(can't spell) section.

·
CA18DET Wizard
1,366 Posts
The ca18de is a good engine as long as you don't buy a U.S. model one. In 1989 the ca18de was decompressed from 10:1 to 9.0 or 9.1:1 and that sucks. It's an easy swap no different than the ca18det except for the baby-sitting (bigger fuel pump, gauges and turbo). Or you can use the ca18det rods and get some higher compression pistons and build an all-motor treat. I know from experience because I've have the CA16DE, CA18DE and the CA18DET in my car and spanky-spanked with all of them. With a flow master exhaust, a ghetto-style intake setup and a heavy foot, I enjoyed wacking civic SI's and integras. Remember, you have the advantage because the pulsar has an excellent tranny and I can personally say that because I've never thrashed one. Only downfall is No LSD:( But on the Flip side, I just my girlfriends extra diff back from phantom grip and this should help with her B12's traction problem. We should be able to turn that 13.9 @ 103mph into a 12 second run because her tires won't be breaking traction through 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear anymore. Good luck on whatever you choose.............

B-B

·
CA18DET Wizard
1,366 Posts
Most of them are ragged out and abused!!

B-B

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Belive this

I forgot to add that, while I was at the place trying to look for an engine and what not, I got into a discussion with this guy that works there about what I'm doing to the b12. He said you'd get more out of a b20(something?) Honda. HA HA yeah right, I told him whatever I do I'm sure as hell not switching with a honda.

·
CA18DET Wizard
1,366 Posts
Have them test the compression. If it's not 199psi or higher/ no good. And how much are they going to charge you for this engine?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Didn't Check on the psi

They are charging 1800, but it is rebuilt with warenty. I didn't check the psi, thats the next thing I'll do.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts