Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on my way to my grandfathers house to use his timing light and advance my timing. On all the topics I see it says to use 92 octane gas. currently the car has a full tank of 91 octane in it. Will this be a problem? Should I buy a bottle of octane booster just in case? Thanks!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess 91 is ok. Thanks anyways..... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
GT3man2001 said:
I'm on my way to my grandfathers house to use his timing light and advance my timing. On all the topics I see it says to use 92 octane gas. currently the car has a full tank of 91 octane in it. Will this be a problem? Should I buy a bottle of octane booster just in case? Thanks!
If you stay within the factory recommended timing settings, you don't have to use higher octane gas.

Lew

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've already advance the timing. Put it at about 17-18 degrees. Car runs fine, so I'm guessing that I did everything correctly. (I followed instructions from MANY sites.) The only question I had was on the octane rating, since it's kinda hard to find anything higher than 91 in the small town that I live in .

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
GT3man2001 said:
I've already advance the timing. Put it at about 17-18 degrees. Car runs fine, so I'm guessing that I did everything correctly. (I followed instructions from MANY sites.) The only question I had was on the octane rating, since it's kinda hard to find anything higher than 91 in the small town that I live in .
17* is within factory spec. At 19*, the car usually will ping on regular.

You can tell by going slowly in high gear and rolling on the gas. If it pings, you need to either retard the spark or go to higher octane.

Lew

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Currently I have decided to run 91 octane w/ octane booster just to be safe. If anyone here thinks that is a bad idea, please let me know. Thanks! :cheers:

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
GT3man2001 said:
Currently I have decided to run 91 octane w/ octane booster just to be safe. If anyone here thinks that is a bad idea, please let me know. Thanks! :cheers:
Octane booster fouls the spark plugs with long term use.

Lew

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I'm guessing that 91 octane is ok, right? It's hard to get a direct answer here....

BTW: I'm planning on not using octane booster after this tank....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts