Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im running out to replace the plugs... from what i've read NGK are apparently most favored.

my car is stock, and the only ones the shop has in stock are NGK BKR5E-11 .
is this fine for a standard/stock setup? Couldn't really get a good conclusion in the search, so many opinions....

sentra xe 1.6 ga16de (well a given i guess since im posting in this section :/ )

wont be installing them until evening (bout 5/6hrs from now).

any comments greatly appreciated. they have other models of NGK, but i'd have to wait for em to come in, plus they're a lil' expensive for the plats (i think). my plugs are fouled good. so i just need something to tide me over a few months....will these be good enough???
 

·
OT's E-Referee
Joined
·
904 Posts
Solidox2k said:
im running out to replace the plugs... from what i've read NGK are apparently most favored.

my car is stock, and the only ones the shop has in stock are NGK BKR5E-11 .
is this fine for a standard/stock setup? Couldn't really get a good conclusion in the search, so many opinions....

sentra xe 1.6 ga16de (well a given i guess since im posting in this section :/ )

wont be installing them until evening (bout 5/6hrs from now).

any comments greatly appreciated. they have other models of NGK, but i'd have to wait for em to come in, plus they're a lil' expensive for the plats (i think). my plugs are fouled good. so i just need something to tide me over a few months....will these be good enough???
I'm not sure of the part numbers however if its NGK and fits the motor then it'll be fine. Whether you choose the cheapest NGK's or the most expensive you will be fine on a stock vehicle. You only have to be picky about plugs if you have special engine mods like nos or turbo.

Mitch
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
James said:
those are the ones you want.

if your plugs are fouled you have something else wrong.
yea, i recently fixed a problem with a badly leaking injector flooded the chamber after like 3min of running, but i was too stupid to consider it the culprit for like a week...that fouled the plugs...also going to flush the oil.

sentra97gxe said:
Whether you choose the cheapest NGK's or the most expensive you will be fine on a stock vehicle.
thanx, thats what i got, after double checking the fuel line tomorrow, and flushing the oil, going to install em, thanx ^_^
 

·
a constipated monkey
Joined
·
143 Posts
my experience has been that all domestic plugs blow goats on this motor. I have ngk iridium plugs in my 200 right now, and performance wise i think the standard denso and ngk plugs perform just as well. Just resist the temptation to buy splitfires, bosch (including the +4) or champion.
 

·
OT's E-Referee
Joined
·
904 Posts
funkpacket said:
my experience has been that all domestic plugs blow goats on this motor. I have ngk iridium plugs in my 200 right now, and performance wise i think the standard denso and ngk plugs perform just as well. Just resist the temptation to buy splitfires, bosch (including the +4) or champion.
Definately true. When it comes to Nissans stick to NGK's and you'll be in great shape.

Mitch
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
thanx for the advice guys...i changed em thinking it'd help with a slight idle problem... but its still there, and i've gotta pull em out and check em, see if they're burning alright.

got a question. when handtightening them, just how much should i tighten...i usually use the ext.rod and tighten by hand until 'snug', then put the socket wrench on and give it about a 1/4 turn (wrench is about 7in). is that too tight? when i try to take em off i have to put just a lil' 'umph' into it... i wonder if that's too tight...

off topic, when putting an oil filter on, is tighten snug by hand, then 1/4 with the filter tool ok? or too tight?

one more thing, since i dont wanna start another topic, is installation of a new pcv valve. is there a certain distance i SHOULD NOT tighten it to? i only had a long (like 10in) tool to tighten it with, tightened it until only 2 threads were showing, which was the case with the old valve. just should it be 'snug' or 'tight'????

any long shot suggestions are more than welcome. ^_^ reason for asking: loping (rising and falling idle) when idleing. cant figure out whats wrong... i installed the pcv, plugs, and oil flush at the same time.... so i kinda screwed my self on isolation on the problem heh... gonna check the FCID/AAC assembly and possibly clean it first. plugs didnt seem to help in acceleration, so either i somehow messed em up, or its just something else.

EDIT: oh, one more thing... i've always checked/adjusted the gap on the plugs with a flat 'disc' like feeler gauge. now, do i test the gap by sliding it in laterally, or by sliding it in and then tilting 90* up???? book says .043, i use .044, that ok? what effect would a wider gap have?
PIC:
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top