Nissan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Paging Mr. Herman
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As far as hp, how big of a difference am I looking at between a CAI and a WAI? I have a HKS intake and there is a constant feeling of regret in the back of my brain that I should of bought a CAI. :(

·
Registered
547 Posts
If you're regretting it, just make your own CAI. I'm ordering my piping probably Thursday and builing my own along with my exhaust. Hell if all you have is a filter it won't be that hard to do. Or even if you want you can just run a single pipe from your TB to your Mas and filter. But a lot of people like the sound and performance gains over a WAI.

N

·
0 Posts
There is a very very very slight difference.... I bought the cai but take the second pipe off and run a wai in the winter when it snows...... That way it does not get all scuzed up from road salt.

·
neutral handling is cool
180 Posts
I live in Ohio an the weather sucks azz here...I bought a Pop Charger(=wai), so now I am trunk mounting my battery and building a Cold Air Box. I'll use a rotary tool to widen the hole from underneath the battery, it will be a lot cheaper than buying a CAI.

P

·
0 Posts
Even though people claim to get more HP from a CAI and it makes sense, it's never been proven on a dyno. And when it has been attempted, it's usually only a difference of like 1 hp and that's on v6s or v8s, not conclusive...it wouldn't make any different for you. Don't sweat it. A couple dozen degrees aren't a big deal. It would more of an issue if you had say, a VTEC engine which is VERY temp sensitive.

·
Go Drift Alliance!
646 Posts
Powered by 4G63 said:
Even though people claim to get more HP from a CAI and it makes sense, it's never been proven on a dyno. And when it has been attempted, it's usually only a difference of like 1 hp and that's on v6s or v8s, not conclusive...it wouldn't make any different for you. Don't sweat it. A couple dozen degrees aren't a big deal. It would more of an issue if you had say, a VTEC engine which is VERY temp sensitive.
I don't think this is totally true. What do you mean that this hasn't been proven on a dyno? Lots of people get good gains off just a CAI alone. I do agree that it seems kinda being picky, but it also depends on who you are and what you're willing to pay and have on your ride. I would also not let it bother you too much. But if it does and you can't help it, go with a custom made CAI or just save up some money and get a CAI kit from the various manufacturers out there. ;)

P

·
0 Posts
What I'm saying is that Injen, or AEM or whoever hasn't tested their short ram intakes vs. their CAIs and published results. People just assume cold is better, which it is (but not significantly), but it hasn't been shown on a dyno chart comparing the same car with either intake pipe. The 1 or 2 HP difference that people have claimed to see between intakes can easily be a tolerance error with the dyno or human error. It's not conclusive.

What I'm getting at is that it's not worth fretting over, if it does increase HP, it's not even going to be noticeable. There's enough air flowing in and around the engine while it's moving to make a dozen degrees a pretty insignificant change.

·
Go Drift Alliance!
646 Posts
zeno said:
Thanks for the help.....I can always make up the difference w/ NOS :D
Ahhhhh....not NOS, nitrous! ;)

I totally understand what you mean by not fretting over small stuff, but a person like me wants every edge I can get. A CAI is in my budget and I want the best. I don't live in a climate where it floods the streets most of the year and I don't mind crawling underneath my car once in awile to clean the filter. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts