Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does one need to remove the exhaust manifold when doing this, or just the lower section of pipe? I refuse to pull the head, and I would rather not snap my manifold studs if at all possible. I got a cali car, so the cat is right there further making the hot/cold cycles even worse on those studs.

Also, do I need to remove the camshafts as well? I know I am a PITA but I see a few different set of instructions flying around and I certainy can see that my haynes book is worth it's weight in air (Like usual)

·
wont go any faster?
475 Posts
SoCalB14 said:
Does one need to remove the exhaust manifold when doing this, or just the lower section of pipe? I refuse to pull the head, and I would rather not snap my manifold studs if at all possible. I got a cali car, so the cat is right there further making the hot/cold cycles even worse on those studs.

Also, do I need to remove the camshafts as well? I know I am a PITA but I see a few different set of instructions flying around and I certainy can see that my haynes book is worth it's weight in air (Like usual)
ah man this job sucks so i bad.. i did it to mine... you dont have to rememove the head but, you have to remove the, down pipe, oil pan, front cover, front motor mount, crank pulley, and i think thats about it check out my site cause i got pictures from when i did my job if it helps www.cardomain.com/id/skoodles2006

now i removed my header but i forgot why already lol, but as long as your header doesnt go under the oil pan and you can disconnect that down pipe thats ally ou need to take off so you can drop the oil pan

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excellent, thanks skoodles. Yeah I can think of a lot of things I'd rather do, but I got 250k+ miles on this one and I can't even come close to stock timing it has stretched so bad. I have a ton of oil leaks, so I guess I might as well do it to fix them as well.

How did you get your crank bolt off? Did you let the starter do the work for you, or did you come up with some interesting contraption to hold the pulley while you loosened the bolt?

·
wont go any faster?
475 Posts
SoCalB14 said:
Excellent, thanks skoodles. Yeah I can think of a lot of things I'd rather do, but I got 250k+ miles on this one and I can't even come close to stock timing it has stretched so bad. I have a ton of oil leaks, so I guess I might as well do it to fix them as well.

How did you get your crank bolt off? Did you let the starter do the work for you, or did you come up with some interesting contraption to hold the pulley while you loosened the bolt?
i had a impact gun, and a steering wheel puller. be careful when reinstaling the front cover, replace the oil jacket seals and the front main seal. get a high temp silicon, let set for 24+hours or you will have massive oil leak. good luck its no fun.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Heh, I got a massive (nd I mean massive) oil leak right now, so even if I screw up it will be better :)

Seriously, if it runs for 10 minutes just idling, I will have quite a few drips on the ground.

Do you recommend the $300 kit from courtesy nissan? Did you replace the sprockets, I see they are not included in the kit. Thanks again :cheers:

·
wont go any faster?
475 Posts
SoCalB14 said:
Heh, I got a massive (nd I mean massive) oil leak right now, so even if I screw up it will be better :)

Seriously, if it runs for 10 minutes just idling, I will have quite a few drips on the ground.

Do you recommend the $300 kit from courtesy nissan? Did you replace the sprockets, I see they are not included in the kit. Thanks again :cheers:
i didnt get a full kit didnt i didnt get a new chain i did replace my idler spricket cause it had teeth bitten off it. go ahead get the kit also get the oil seals

1 - 6 of 6 Posts