Nissan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was changing my oil and noticed i bought a Fram PH7371 instead of a PH6603 for my 2002 Spec V. Weird thing is that the PH7371 is for the QR2.5 and the PH6603 is for the 1.8 and the Spec V 2.5?? Should I just use my PH7317 and more oil? they look identical except the 6603 is shorter. Help!!!
 

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
Joined
·
8,328 Posts
take the fram back and NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER USE A FRAM FILTER AGAIN!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,308 Posts
^ why? i use fram all the time.
 

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
Joined
·
8,328 Posts
it's already been said here tons of times that fram filters are crap. You'd be better off not even using a filter if you use Fram filters.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,308 Posts
i have read many a thread about this subject and nothing is ever resolved from them. idk why you say they are crap, it is a baisic part. take a metal canister, punch the correct holes to allow flow, place a paper type material inside to prevent any large objects from passing...........now unless there is some new electric/high tech filter im gona use my fram.
 

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
Joined
·
8,328 Posts
it's not a basic part. it's cheap, but it's one of those MOST VITAL parts to engine life.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,818 Posts
1.6pete said:
i have read many a thread about this subject and nothing is ever resolved from them. idk why you say they are crap, it is a baisic part. take a metal canister, punch the correct holes to allow flow, place a paper type material inside to prevent any large objects from passing...........now unless there is some new electric/high tech filter im gona use my fram.
There are two reasons that they are inferior filters:
1. There is less filter material in them than other filters
2. The anti-drainback valve is ineffective

1. means that they do not filter as well as others
2. means that the oil drains out of the filter, and on start-up there is no oil pressure until it fills.

We did a filter comparison in Houston a number of years ago (1998) by cutting the filters for the SR20DE apart. Once you see the inside, you'll be convinced.

Here is another filter comparison study.

Lew
 

·
NPM Lead Editor/Webmaster
Joined
·
4,571 Posts
lshadoff said:
There are two reasons that they are inferior filters:
1. There is less filter material in them than other filters
2. The anti-drainback valve is ineffective

1. means that they do not filter as well as others
2. means that the oil drains out of the filter, and on start-up there is no oil pressure until it fills.

We did a filter comparison in Houston a number of years ago (1998) by cutting the filters for the SR20DE apart. Once you see the inside, you'll be convinced.

Here is another filter comparison study.

Lew
Read Lew's links: they are well worth your time to read.

This is another one of those things that always stumps me.. Why will people pay thousands for a car and even more for performance enhancing parts, yet buy the cheapest oil filter possible? Only 3 oil filters I would ever consider using

1) OEM Nissan Oil Filters
2) K&N Oil Filters
3) Mobil 1 Oil Filters

Fram is one of the worse... but then again for $3 at WalMart what do you expect...lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You guys didnt answer the question? Personally, I use Synthetic oil, and change every 3000 miles so I just use the cheapo oil filter. Unless you have some serious engine problems and have metal shrapnel in your oil i Dont see the cost benift in usiing a mobile 1 or Wix oil filter. I just use Napa or Fram, today happened to be sunday, so I went to Shucks and bought Fram... Anyways I just used the filter I bought, more flow and oil capacity makes more sense to me on a higher performance engine.
 

·
Not Anymore.
Joined
·
5,014 Posts
myoung said:
Read Lew's links: they are well worth your time to read.

This is another one of those things that always stumps me.. Why will people pay thousands for a car and even more for performance enhancing parts, yet buy the cheapest oil filter possible? Only 3 oil filters I would ever consider using

1) OEM Nissan Oil Filters
2) K&N Oil Filters
3) Mobil 1 Oil Filters

Fram is one of the worse... but then again for $3 at WalMart what do you expect...lol
I would add Amsoil to that list which IIRC is made by Hastings. I have found it to have prettymuch the best filtering with relatively good flow. OE Nissan filters arent bad, but I do like the Amsoil more. I have heard great things about K&N, and given the quality of their air filters, I am sure the oil filters are just as good.

As far as Fram, I have seen them come apart, fall apart and literally give off black shit from manufacturing defects.
 

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
Joined
·
8,328 Posts
you're wasting your money if you use synthetic and change every 3000 miles.

and frequent changes or not, do not skimp on what filter you use.

it's the difference between a mobil 1 filter trapping a grain of sand, or that grain of sand getting thru the cheapie filter and scoring your cylinder causing major damage......or other bad things.
 

·
Not Anymore.
Joined
·
5,014 Posts
from BITOG
http://www.indygamers.com/vB/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4488
I have seen similar things happen with Fram. A brother of my friend changed his minivan using a Fram oil filter. He installed everything properly, I was there. The next day he had about five quarts of oil over his driveway and a ticket for polluting. The seal didnt last for even 24 hours before literally falling apart.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
thats crazy i will definately stay away from fram now!! i think i only bought 1 of their filters before anyways lol
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top