Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Towards Antisocial
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never considered myself a stupid person...

I CANT GET THE F*&#ING SHIFT KNOB OFF FOR SOME REASON!!!!!!

it won't unscrew
I don't know why
neither did Nissan
I gave up on it for a while but now...

I CAN'T STAND THE UGLY HIGH RISE RUBBER SHIFTER ANY LONGER!

Please, respond, by all means, I'm down to try whatever!

it's a 1998 200sx SE

·
Registered
249 Posts
What I did with mine was cut it about an inch lower than the knob is know. Cutting wheel works great!!!!!

·
Registered
29 Posts

Try a pipe wrench, that's what I had to do with mine. Or you could cut it if you had to.

·
Platinum
462 Posts
b****

If Timbo's way didn't work, (it didn't when i did mine) just destroy the old one. Use a big knife and cut it. That's what i did to mine after fighting like a hour with that little bitch. You might wanna keep if it is leather wrapped like SE-R knob, but nobody would want to buy that old ugly piece of rubber anyways.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Like m14cstud said, use a big wrench. Take a towel and wrap it around the knob, then clamp down on it with the wrench and it should come off with some work. The knob does have some glue holding it in place so you need to break that seal.

·
Registered
249 Posts
CUT IT

·
Towards Antisocial
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks SO MUCH!!!

being a new forum brotha it's nice to see so many replies.
I am SO here to stay!!!

I will try all of your ideas untill that [email protected]&$ing thing is off.

If I put some real torque on that shifter, will anything break????

hopefully the seal will break first aye?

Once again, thanks for the replies, Much appreciation!!

·
Towards Antisocial
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did like you guys told me...

got an old shirt and wrappped it around the knob.

used big ass wrench and its snapped loose then unscrewed

your all the SHIT!!!

·
I think I lost my mod-nes
313 Posts
I know this goes compleely against the grain here, but does do any of you happen to have a stock shift knob they'd be willing to sell me? I bought my 97 used, and whoever had it switched out the knob with one that too closely resembles a penis. This is NOT what I was looking for, so I bought one of those crappy autozone shift knobs on my way home from the dealership. It never has fit right, so I'd like to go back to stock.
Thaknks

·
Towards Antisocial
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You could have mine from my 98 200.
I don't have anything to replace it w/ yet though. Hmmm...

G

·
Shift knob

I could be wrong, but if you try and put a stock knob back on I don't know if it'll secure as good as it originally did before it was taken off. I have a Momo on my 200SX, it's real nice, looks great and is secure. You get what you pay for, if you pay $25 for a knob, it probably won't stay too tight, but if you drop $80 for a Momo or some other brand, it will.

G

·
$80??????????

Are you smoking crack......who in the right mind would lay down 80 bucks for a shift knob??? The most id pay for a knob is like 30 bucks.....well i guess im thrifty.....hell i could buy a AGX shock for that 80 bucks!!!! :D i guess im just into the more bang for the buck......no offense, of course, if you got it spend it!!!!! I just wish i had it to blow!!!!!!

G

·
Alright...

Well...here's my story.

I got a $25 shift knob from JCWhitney that didn't secure using screws. It didn't fit too well and always came loose on me. I tried doing everything I could to make this knob work but it wasn't working. So when I ordered my B&M Short Shifter I decided I had to get a new, and better shift knob. I've heard good things about Momo (I'm not the only one who has one...many people have thrown down $80 or more for one) and loved some of the way their knobs looked. Yes their products are expensive, yes you are paying for a name...but I wanted to buy a knob that I liked, and not have to worry about it coming loose. This knob has a rubber bushing with 3 allen screws, fits great, feels great, and looks great. Yes it was expensive and I could've used the money to save for a performance part. But I'm more into doing simple interior stuff and whatnot, as I'm not too mechanically inclined and I don't have the serious money to spend on performance parts. I wish I could...I just don't have the money, and I'd have a hard time installing them.

I've learned that you get what you pay for when it comes to stuff, and I'm never going to get a cheap part for my car again. I'm not saying you can't find a good knob for a good price, you can...I just bought one of the "top brands" which is the reason mine was so expensive.

I'm no little rich boy who has money to thrown around either. I'm 17 and I work at a grocery store in town. I'm just got into modding my car since I've got it and it's an expensive hobby, but then again...what isn't these days. I tell myself every week I get my check..."don't find something to buy for your car, save some of your money Steve"...I've been good so far, but I've been eyeing some other other stuff for my car. Ok, this post is turning into a novel...so I better stop, later.

·
Banned
1,530 Posts
Re: $80??????????

Manytoys said:
Are you smoking crack......who in the right mind would lay down 80 bucks for a shift knob???
Guess Nissan is our dealer, for crack that is......

Several of us spend a hell of a lot more for stuff for our car because we either want it to look good and have the BEST for it, not just some cheap knock-off. Tell ya what, do a search for actual NISMO products for our cars (shift knobs, hats, shirts, emblems) and you'll find out that they ARE that much. Just a love for our cars I guess.

Hell, it's better than spending it on crack!!! :D :D :D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts