Nissan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1, what can i do to give my 97 HB a bit more power...whats availible? and what would cross reffrenece to a 240sx with the same KA24E motor?

2,The nissan HB has a six lug set up...what factory rims from (either) Titan, frontier with a six lug pattern would fit?

The truck is a daily driver. Its a 97 HB Inline four Two wheel drive 5-Spd truck. The truck it self i guess came from up north. Its as basic as i have ever seen No power anything. Its been lowered 5 inch all round. And has 175k on it. I know its probably getting a bit tired but i just wanna bring it back to life with some upgrades. I use the truck to drive from point A to B and tow my Jetskis when i ride........Thankyou for any suggestions or Help

·
Registered
48 Posts
Howdy!

The cheapest thing for more power is a K & N Air Filter, this cost me about $60 CDN, but apparently you never have to replace it, just hose it down. Reports say you gain between 2 and 5 horses.

You can also send the ECU to a company down in California to have it chipped for around $400, but then the truck is out of commission for a week or so. My neighbour does that part of it, I'll get the name of the company if you want, or you could Google around for it. This should get you 50 to 70 more horses.

Did you just buy this truck? A good tune up gave me more power and added about 70 km to a tank of gas for much better efficiency. Check to make sure your rear brakes aren't sticking too. My rear drums have suffered twice from not releasing properly in the past year.

Not sure about the rims, someone else will definitely comment on it though.

Cheers.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I find that if you go and buy a 6 cylinder, you will get the power increase you are looking for.

I for one, poo poo K&N filters.. its been proven many times over, the cost is not worth the perceived difference. If they did, wouldn't all the manufacturers use them?

Go to a site call Bob is the oil guy and look up air filters. One person did a great test using all the usual filters.

Gearing and aerodynamics go a long way in the seat of the pants feel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I find that if you go and buy a 6 cylinder, you will get the power increase you are looking for.

I for one, poo poo K&N filters.. its been proven many times over, the cost is not worth the perceived difference. If they did, wouldn't all the manufacturers use them?

Go to a site call Bob is the oil guy and look up air filters. One person did a great test using all the usual filters.

Gearing and aerodynamics go a long way in the seat of the pants feel.

Thankyou very much ill take a look in to Cheers thanks mate

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Howdy!

The cheapest thing for more power is a K & N Air Filter, this cost me about $60 CDN, but apparently you never have to replace it, just hose it down. Reports say you gain between 2 and 5 horses.

You can also send the ECU to a company down in California to have it chipped for around $400, but then the truck is out of commission for a week or so. My neighbour does that part of it, I'll get the name of the company if you want, or you could Google around for it. This should get you 50 to 70 more horses.

Did you just buy this truck? A good tune up gave me more power and added about 70 km to a tank of gas for much better efficiency. Check to make sure your rear brakes aren't sticking too. My rear drums have suffered twice from not releasing properly in the past year.

Not sure about the rims, someone else will definitely comment on it though.

Cheers.

Thankyou and yea could you grab that company for the Ecu. I bought the truck a year ago ...just did breaks recently but ill check them out thankyou for all ur help cheers thanks

·
Registered
96 Posts
ok, perhaps my post sounded a bit harsh... but I hate to see people waste money on snake oil.. Im not bashing someone who chooses to ask about it or even use it, Im just trying to save someone money thats all. Hope no one was offended as it wasn't meant that way.

pete

·
Registered
48 Posts
About the K&N filters? No offense was taken here. Two to five more horses is hardly noticeable, and you're right, is the cost really worth it? It sounds a little more aggressive at high RPMs, but that's it. I have 32' tires too, so it's tough to tell.

I'll get the ECU company posted here this week if my neighbour's around too.

Cheers!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Oh, and as a side note, I agree with the V6 upgrade. Mine's peppy in general, but thirsty! :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
no replacement for displacement just save your money once you drive it a few thousand miles you will learn to live with it and still have all you money in your pocket no easy cheap way to get a good noticable amount of power out of these trucks sorry

1 - 13 of 13 Posts