Nissan Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get confused when I see the different codes and stuff. B12 b13 n13, kn13.

I have a pulsar i been piecing together and been looking for parts. What older nissans share interchangable parts with the 89 pulsar nx XE? Thats the basic pulsar right? so that means i have a N13 or kn13? I been trying to get a clear answer. I want to find as much info as possible so I can know how to and where to look for parts. my current internet research has me thinking the 89 or 90s sentras might be a good start? b12? b13?
or am i super mistaken? depending on how hard this one is to get parts going for it, I may get another pulsar!

SPECIFICALLY right now i am looking at like suspension and brake system parts. but i do want to know what else though. Any info can help! Thanks!

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
2006 Pathfinder LE, 2003 Frontier SVE
10,489 Posts
B11, B12, N13 are model numbers for different Nissans. The B11 is the first generation Sentra that existed from around 1982 to 1986. That was replaced by the B12 Sentra from 1987 through 1990 and the N12 Pulsar NX shared the same chassis and engine, with the exception of the E15T turbo engine that was an option specific to the Pulsar NX. From 1991 through 1994, you had the B13 Sentra, which shared the same chassis as the N13 Pulsar. The N13 had several different body types worldwide, but the KN13 was the body type known in the US; I've always called them KN13. Initially, the base KN13 Pulsar NX had the E16i and the Pulsar NX SE had the higher-performance CA16DE engine which later got replaced with the CA18DE engine. The E16i later got replaced with the GA16i engine. The CA/DE engines were only used in the US in the Pulsar NX SE and no other models, however the CA-series in SOHC form was used in T11/T12 Stanzas and the Stanza Wagon. The transmission for the CA is larger and will not bolt-up to the E- and GA-series engines.

The KN13 was a neat car, although a little small and low to the ground for my ol' fat butt! When they came out, I referred to them as the "Swatch watch," of cars (which you may or may not remember, depending on your age). You could go from a coupe to a targa to a station wagon, if you opted for the Sportsback accessory, which I remember being in the $2500-3000 range, so that was pretty rare. Because they were only around for a few years and they were a bit of a niche model, there wasn't a lot of them sold, making them a little rare these days. They were later replaced by the NX1600/NX2000. Because of their rarity, some of the parts can be really hard to find and are obsolete, such as weatherstrips and mouldings or body and interior parts specific to the Pulsar NX. Mechanical parts, such as engine and suspension items, can be a lot easier to find due to the shared chassis with the Sentra. Rockauto is a good place to look for most mechanical items, such as brakes, engine components, some suspension and steering items. Despite many parts being discontinued or obsolete, it doesn't hurt to check for genuine Nissan parts at a site like NissanPartsDeal.com, because every once in a while you get surprised at what may still be in the Nissan part bins, collecting dust! Parts availability is always a challenge when working with relatively low production vehicles, especially imports. They aren't like Mustangs and Camaros where there is a huge aftermarket support and you can get practically everything made on the car, including body shells! But, I guess that's part of what goes into owning a car that's a little different than the norm.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NOW THATS A GREAT ANSWER! HOLY SHIT!

Yo shouts to Nissan for building the cars that way! I WAS SOOO WORRIED. I thought I could never afford the parts. I went to a few dealerships and the cost in parts I was getting was WILD. I was looking at a solid 6k in parts. You have no idea how worried i was I wouldn't be able to get this thing its parts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
B11, B12, N13 are model numbers for different Nissans. The B11 is the first generation Sentra that existed from around 1982 to 1986. That was replaced by the B12 Sentra from 1987 through 1990 and the N12 Pulsar NX shared the same chassis and engine, with the exception of the E15T turbo engine that was an option specific to the Pulsar NX. From 1991 through 1994, you had the B13 Sentra, which shared the same chassis as the N13 Pulsar. The N13 had several different body types worldwide, but the KN13 was the body type known in the US; I've always called them KN13.
So to be clear though
b12 sentras and the 1st gen pulsars exas up to 86 are highly interchangeable (minus the turbo exa.)

however 87 to 90 pulsar exas share the interchangeability trait with 91 to 94 sentras so only B13 . NO B12 sentra parts allowed! lol
do japanese N13 parts work with the EXA pulsars?

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
2006 Pathfinder LE, 2003 Frontier SVE
10,489 Posts
The 82-86 Pulsars were the second generation, not the first. The first generation was 78-82, which in the USA was the Datsun 310. 82-86 Pulsars were more closely related to the B11 Sentras of 82-86, although there may be some interchangeability with the later B12 Sentras, depending on the parts. The B12 Sentra has the same chassis as the KN13 Pulsar, although there were a lot of differences between the two. I've never worked on the Japanese N13, so I'm not sure how much interchange there is between that and the US KN13, although I would imaging there is some.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.