Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
A Passerby
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who have sold your rims or tires online, what is your recommended method to ship them? What are the best companies to ship through? Do you package the wheels yourself or to they get packaged by whoever is shipping them? What is a good technique to wrap and package wheels for long distance shipping? Are there any common pitfalls to watch for?

Thanks in advance,

·
even better the 2nd time
2,719 Posts
grab some boxes from behind the grocery store or the likes

they charge more than you'd think to package large items like that

lightweight packing material is key of course. id suggest bubble wrap and cardboard (yes, cardboard). sliding a couple extra layers of cardboard around the wheels is lightweight and effective against scratching/dinging.

i guess thats all i can think of right now

·
Viva el iPod
1,232 Posts
I used to ship wheels for a living here's what I did:

Are they wheels with tires mounted? If so let the air out (duh, saves wieght but more importantly the tires won't explode!), find a huge box (don't remember the size, I think 24x24x24) and stack them one on top of the other, put a Large piece of material in between that will not sratch them and a piece of that same stuff over the top of the top wheel. To make sure they don't slide around I wedged pieces of cardboard shaped like triangles (like those Tobolorone (sp?) candy bars) until they fit snug in box. Cut the box down from the top, tape all the seams (ALL of them), and I used those shipping bands around it.

I only shipped new wheels, so I would put them new in the box, in a bigger box 2 wheels per big box, don't remember dims, but a lot smaller than the tires+wheels). But the same procedure would apply, just make sure you wrap up the wheels so they don't get strached and that they don't slide around in the box (VERY BAD, the carriers are going to toss your boxes around and the wieght of the wheels themselves can bust the boxes open and your have messed up rims).

UPS used to charge DIM wieght of about 100 lbs for each box of Wheel+Tire and straight wieght for the wheels (I think, I don't remember).

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Fedex ground is one of the cheapest I have seen for shipping wheels. I just sold some lightweight wheels and the shipping cost was only $31 (I did the paperwork on fedex website). Granted there were no tires and the total weight of the wheels boxed was 26lb X 2 boxs.

As for a box... I was lucky and had just received some new wheels, so I reused the boxes :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts