Nissan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
4 door beast
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
im just wondering, if you drive with a heavy foot, and reach close to redline (But not actually redline), what are the negative effects it has to the car?

i already know it eats hella gas, but is it EXTREMELEY bad for the engine? if so how bad?

oh yeah another question about downshifting. is downshifting like you are in 3rd gear then suddenly switch back to second gear, causing your car to freaking launch forward hella fast, thus making your car faster? and if this is true, wouldnt this be horrible for your clutch and or transmission?

·
Registered
185 Posts
As long as you shift right downshiffting isnt bad unless you down shift and your rpms hit past redline.

·
Registered
851 Posts
ekizz said:
im just wondering, if you drive with a heavy foot, and reach close to redline (But not actually redline), what are the negative effects it has to the car?

i already know it eats hella gas, but is it EXTREMELEY bad for the engine? if so how bad?

oh yeah another question about downshifting. is downshifting like you are in 3rd gear then suddenly switch back to second gear, causing your car to freaking launch forward hella fast, thus making your car faster? and if this is true, wouldnt this be horrible for your clutch and or transmission?
from my experience.....downshifting ONLY makes you go quicker when you IMMEDIATELY hit the gas after the downshift. downshifting for red lights, stop signs, etc is fun :D

·
Destroyer of worlds.
874 Posts
downshifting is only used to keep the engine in the powerband. if your car is lurching when you downshift, then you should NOT be downshifting because either you dont know how, or you're too high in the power band.

also, constant redlining stresses every component of an engine and will cause it to wear out much faster. probably 3-4 times faster.

a personal note: stop beating on your car, there's no reason to drive like that. you can have plenty of fun between 3k and 5k, there's no reason to go all the way to 7.5k. if you want to drive 'fast' then learn how to shift properly, this includes proper downshifting. you should only downshift if the tach hits 3k, this will avoid lurching(which breaks stuff).

but in all honesty, you should stay out of the power band as much as possible. i used to drive hard(in the power band) and got 18mpg average, but i switched to below power band driving and now get 24mpg average. its a big difference.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
downshifting puts pressure where it shouldnt really be in a engine, u cant just slam it into 3th when your topping out 4th especially if u have a timing chain u will smack the tensioner guides good and hard and cuase them to shatter (had it happen by accident). its ok to do if your about mid range and right before u put it intoa lower gear u give it a quick rev to match the engine rpm with the speed of the car, thats what i do and i have had no problems

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yeah what the last guy said. You can break axles and all that good stuff... but hey look on the bright side more power assist braking when downshifting.

·
Registered
124 Posts
yeah are we talking about downshifting to get into the powerband or for slowing perpouses. when I come up to red light from a few blocks away, I tap the throttle when downshift to make things smoother. Dose anyone know a good way to do this faster so that I could apply it to cornering and such. Because in corners I do the same but I can't get the throttle so it jerks and I hate it.

P.S. yes I suck at driving.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Sixways said:
yeah are we talking about downshifting to get into the powerband or for slowing perpouses. when I come up to red light from a few blocks away, I tap the throttle when downshift to make things smoother. Dose anyone know a good way to do this faster so that I could apply it to cornering and such. Because in corners I do the same but I can't get the throttle so it jerks and I hate it.

P.S. yes I suck at driving.
Heel toe my friend.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Exactly heal to toe, but come on i have the same car what's the point really? If you drive it respectably it'll last you forever, everyone redline's or speed shift's here and there it's fun but look after it and it'll keep on running.

·
TwiztidKidd
807 Posts
is downshifting like you are in 3rd gear then suddenly switch back to second gear, causing your car to freaking launch forward hella fast, thus making your car faster? and if this is true, wouldnt this be horrible for your clutch and or transmission?
My auto trans does that all the time when I floor it ... it feels like I jumped from the front seat to the back seat when it does that on my car. The last thing you want to do to your car is to switch gears (downshift) when your engine is underpowered that adds a lot of wear. Maybe you should get one of those tachs with a shift light.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts