Nissan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i was wondering about Breather Filters. Ive seen a couple of people with them under the hood but i dont know what they do. i've heard they give HP but im not too sure about that. So any Info i would greatly app. THX :cheers:

·
NPM Lead Editor/Webmaster
4,571 Posts
!!!Sentra_Owned!!! said:
Hey guys i was wondering about Breather Filters. Ive seen a couple of people with them under the hood but i dont know what they do. i've heard they give HP but im not too sure about that. So any Info i would greatly app. THX :cheers:
several threads on the subject already....

NO they do no good... certainly won't give you any additional horsepower. It's actaully detrimental because you're venting metered air the MAF has already measured.

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
myoung said:
several threads on the subject already....

NO they do no good... certainly won't give you any additional horsepower. It's actaully detrimental because you're venting metered air the MAF has already measured.
thats only if you put them on the intake. sometimes you need to use them. lets say you have bought an intake and it dosent have a "nipple" for the tube that goes to the valve cover, then just buy a breather filter for it, no harm in that. but they add no HP or anything. but off the top of my head i cant think of any other place you could use a breather filter safely, because all the other tubes are emistions/recirculating tubes. again its just to be used on the valve cover.

·
i pwn your mom
5,439 Posts
what are you talkin bout, unless you get a cheap ebay intake or something, all cai for our cars will have the correct number of nipples for the hoses.. you dont want a breather filter, because its eliminating the cycled air which it was designed to have, like myoung said. They dont do any good, nor will it do anything for performance, just keep the hose.

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
psuLemon said:
what are you talkin bout, unless you get a cheap ebay intake or something, all cai for our cars will have the correct number of nipples for the hoses.. you dont want a breather filter, because its eliminating the cycled air which it was designed to have, like myoung said. They dont do any good, nor will it do anything for performance, just keep the hose.
i didnt say you have to use it.............just if you need to. i still dont see the harm in useing one on the valve cover if you want to add "style" or what ever and block off the nipple on the cai granted it would be pointless but as long as the air is filterd theres no harm........again it adds absolutly nothing to performance what so ever. but i suppose it could add some style under the hood? meh, oh well but i still say theres no harm in it.

·
NPM Lead Editor/Webmaster
4,571 Posts
1.6pete said:
thats only if you put them on the intake. sometimes you need to use them. lets say you have bought an intake and it dosent have a "nipple" for the tube that goes to the valve cover, .....

Then you've already made the first mistake in buying something not designed for your car.

style... that little breather filter is style? haha

The air in the valve cover has been measured and recuircs back to the intake "after the MAF"... once again you're venting measured air. So it is doing harm, in throwing your ECU readings out of whack. Can't get any simplier that that...

Still not sure how that tiny filter gives you style... but okay

·
Registered
162 Posts
Wouldnt it be good for your engine though if u put a breather filter on your valve cover and pluged up the hole on the intake, cause it would vent out hot and oily gases which would build up on the sides of the intake manifold.

·
wont go any faster?
475 Posts
well i had to put one on my car cause the pcv valve was sucking up oil and injecting it into my intake manifold causing me to smoke like crazy i think it has something to do with my valve cover tho cause the pcv does work. so i just blocked off the hose and so there wont be and crank case pressure i added the filter for saftey so ill feel safer about it. as for style no it looks like crap and definatnly no gains

·
Registered
162 Posts
well i put one on the valve cover and blocked up the intake nipple. im not expecting anything much different or any power gains, i just want to see how it goes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts