Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchaced a 92 sentra se-r and while checking the spark plugs noticed that they are all sitting in oil. Not just a little bit of oil, but enough to conver the spark plug socket. Anyone else have an issue with this? Is it a problem and if so how big. Any imput would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
HYDYST?
113 Posts
Could be your valve cover. There are O rings under the cover around each plug hole, they may be leaking. New gaskets should fix it if that is the problem.
However, it also probably means the VC was off. Wouldn't hurt to have someone look at the valvetrain while the cover is off.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just had the same problem. You need to change the valve cover gasket. But MAKE SURE you use the factory Nissan gasket set. It costs more but the cheap auto part stores gaskets are made different.

·
Registered
125 Posts
yes it sounds like you spark plug gastkets are bad. Go get a new set with the valve cover gasket too. From previous exprience I know the spark plug gaskets are purchased ala carte. I guess it would be hard to see if the oil were on the tip of the plug to see if you have bad valve guide seals with all that oil on them. Replace the plugs and also replace the spark plug wires since they were cover in oil as well. Godd luck

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
peter96 said:

However, it also probably means the VC was off.
Maybe so, but maybe not. I've got one cylinder (#2, I seem to recall) that the donut has started to leak, and I know that my valve cover has never been off the car. I can tell because there are no new scratches around the bolts.

I've been contemplating swapping my 96 intake cam for one out of a 91-93 SR20, so I'll take care of the leaker when I do the swap. Anybody else done this swap?

But, that is definitely (99%) the problem. And, echo the earlier sentiment: get the Nissan gaskets - they'll be worth it in the long run. Aftermarket stuff is good up to a point - but certain things & especially rubber parts - it's my experience that Mama Nissan works best.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts