Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 96 Sentra GXE has a torn CV joint boot on the drivers side. It is the outer boot and it appears to have occurred recently. I want to replace the boot, but it entails the somewhat difficult job of getting the outer cv joint off. I have had bad luck in getting the cv joint off the drive shaft in the past, and I would like some suggestions. I can take the drive shaft off easily enough. My problem is when I try to get the joint off, invariably the cage and ball bearing come falling out. And.... it is a real problem getting them back in. I would like to know of any trick to get the cv joint off, without everything coming apart.

Al

·
Registered
146 Posts
alkon said:
My 96 Sentra GXE has a torn CV joint boot on the drivers side. It is the outer boot and it appears to have occurred recently. I want to replace the boot, but it entails the somewhat difficult job of getting the outer cv joint off. I have had bad luck in getting the cv joint off the drive shaft in the past, and I would like some suggestions. I can take the drive shaft off easily enough. My problem is when I try to get the joint off, invariably the cage and ball bearing come falling out. And.... it is a real problem getting them back in. I would like to know of any trick to get the cv joint off, without everything coming apart.

Al
The exact same question has been asked like 50 times before and if you search you will get the answer is change the whole drive axle. Just search

·
Registered
169 Posts
alkon said:

Al
And the same searches will turn up that you can just as easily change the boot itself with just packing the joint and it's about $50 cheaper. I did mine in about 2 hours, all told, and about $15 in parts.

From having done it with just the boot, the only advantage I can see to changing the entire half axle is that you get a bit less messy.

On the positive side, you get to see the neat interior of a CV joint.

The "trick" to separating the joint, for me, was to get the half axle out of the knuckle and then wang it "gently" with a smallish ball peen hammer. Came right off with a light tap or two. The "circlip" went flying, but my boot kit came with a replacement. I didn't have a problem with the cage/bearings coming out. Maybe your joint is at an angle and when you wang it, you're applying too much stress on the cage? I kept everything straight when I bumped it out.

Search using the terms "CV boot" and you'll find good links.

Good luck!

Regards,
Michael

·
U13 BB Owner
303 Posts
and i was just going to buy a new cv axel for the car till i found this thread...didnt know they still made bootkits...one place was telling me they didnt sell them anymore...such a fool.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
More on torn boot

My main problem with replacing the torn boot has been in removing the cv joint. When I have tried this in the past, the ball bearing frequently seem to fall out... no matter how careful I am. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this without this problem??

·
Have I Hit 12's Yet?
5,325 Posts
alkon said:
My main problem with replacing the torn boot has been in removing the cv joint. When I have tried this in the past, the ball bearing frequently seem to fall out... no matter how careful I am. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this without this problem??

im selling the WHOLE CV JOINT for both sides for $40 each. for $20 more than just the boot kit, you get a near brand new cv joint. think about it.

sorry to hijack

1 - 6 of 6 Posts