Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i have a question on how much/far to adjust the starwheel. the book says until it 'just' doesnt drag anymore (but i cant tell by ear, and with tire on or off?); and some ppl are telling me to tighten them all the way they'll go, then loosen by 3 full turns. i dunno. i was thinking of adjusting them just enough to where the drum wont go on, and then loosening 'em just that much. is that good, or does anyone have a better way of doing this?

right now im going to loosen the adjuster just enough so the drum (with tire off) spins smoothly/freely.

also, on the rear hub (right term?) i have to take off to replace the shoes, the driverside has much more resistance than the pass. side; e.g. the pass. side spins freely like 1 or 2 revs, and the driver side only spins like 1 or less. that much of a difference. this is with the tire and drum off, and the hub thing on.

is this anything to worry about? or could it be i just tightened the bolt too much?

·
Will work for beer
2,696 Posts
I highly suggest you find yourself a service manual for your car if you plan on doing work like this in the future.

on the starwheel, you want to adjust it so that there's just a small amount of drag on the drum. remember the shoes aren't perfectly centered in there yet either, and after you apply the parking brake a few times, it will center it up and it'll be fine. but again, just adjust it for now so that there's a bit of drag on the drum.

on the wheel bearing, you need to torque them to factory spec. I don't know what that is, but wheel bearings are some of the most important parts on the entire car to be torqued to spec. they have the highest load on it of any part on the car, and they're not cheap to replace. This is one where you want to be sure and do it right the first time.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, one side i was able to adjust the starwheel to right about where it dragged (then i'd hit the brake a few times to center it, wonder if thats good enough), then i turned it back a couple of notches, just enough to not drag.

however, wasn't able to do the same for the other side. it dragged, or gave unusual resistance almost no matter what i did. i bled the brakes afterwards, and am probably going to check and see if that odd drum is centered right. seemed like a rather large distance i adjusted compared to the other side.

i checked the book (haynes) and it said to torque the bearing nut to 140-180. well, my torque wrench only goes to 145ish, so that's about what i torqued it to. sound good? still don't know why the driver side spins so much slower than the other though.

·
Will work for beer
2,696 Posts
could be that wheel bearing grease is packed a little more in one than the other... as long as they both spin without binding up or feeling gritty, then you're fine.
one may have been replaced by a previous owner on the car as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts