Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Not Anymore.
5,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cams. Teh NISMO cams. They go in soon, like early March. My question. It is as follows... I realize I should change the oil at a certain interval after the cams go in which is somewhere between 100-1000 miles, the number depends on who says it. Should I change the oil also before as I have heard people say you should. When exactly should I do the changes as to what I understand, they cams can give off some metal.

Also, having ran the car on true synthetic its whole life after breakin, when I change the cams would running dino for those 100-1000 miles be allright? I realize it is allright to switch from syn to dino but would the cams and the possible metal the cams give off affect this any? Would using a less or more restrictive oil filter be better?

Finally, WTF is making my CAI rattle? I weather stripped it so much that my CAI practically has a condom on it. It is without a doubt the CAI, and has only happened since I put the ES MMIs in. Maybe I missed something, anyone else have a rattle to high hell with a HotShot?

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
8,328 Posts
switching between dino and synth is fine.

I'd say run the dino maybe 2 days before the cam install, and change a couple weeks or couple hundred miles after the cam install, to make sure most of the wearing and metal shavings are off.

still prolly rattles on the fender hole ;)

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Get a tube of Assembly Lube, and smear it on the cam lobes and surfaces of the rocker arms that rub on the cams. It is the first few seconds after you start the engine that can cause the most wear. Protecting the high stress areas like this will last long enough for oil pressure to build.

Lew

·
PB JELLY TIME!
1,484 Posts
Is it hitting the upper fender well inside the engine bay by the bend?

·
Not Anymore.
5,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll lube the cams and change the oil before and after, probably with a dino Mobil 1 and OE Nissan filter (syn would be a waste for only 100+/- miles :p). Maybe I'll even do a second run of dino for another 3000 miles after the initial change just to play it safe and then resume my LDIs.

And as far as the CAI, I swear I have lined the CAI and the inner fender with so much weatherstripping. I dont know what I am missing. Only at 600 RPMs does this vibration occur so it is probably a side effect of the inserts, as they cause the most vibration down at low idle.

·
And justice for All!!!
575 Posts
Can't speak for what the header might be doing, but I can definitely tell you the MM's changed the feel of the car at lower RPM with regard to the idle. Most like that's what it is...unless it's happening all the time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts