Nissan Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 5 speed 4X4 Nissan Frontier with a 3.3L engine. My question is that I am planning on buying a 22 foot pontoon boat. I believe I can tow it, but my only concern is that when I am driving I am afraid that I will be blown all over the road because my truck is not a full size.
I am just wondering if anybody has any suggestions or experience with this, or do I just need to upgrade?
Thanks in advance.

· Registered
39 Posts
Hey,

I haul a popup camper and I've never had any problem. In fact, I sometimes pass 18 wheelers on the interstate.

You'll just need to compare your tow capacity with what you're hauling. Also, you'll need a class III hitch and maybe a brake controller if it has electronic brakes.

Beck

· Registered
515 Posts
What does the boat and trailer weigh? How does that weight compare with Nissan's recommendations for your truck and it's equipment? How many miles are on the truck? Towing a heavy load is going to stress the truck, especially the cooling system, brakes, and driveline.

My first thought, especially if the boat and trailer are over 3000 pounds, is to consider a different tow vehicle. Upgrades to your existing vehicle might include an engine oil cooler.

Steve

Steve

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can pull a 21' Bass boat with no problem, but it is not nearly as bulky as a pontoon. I am just scared that the wind will catch the pontoon and drag me all over the road. I actually think the bass boat I carry is heavier than the pontoon. The pontoon itself only weighs about 1700 lbs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.