Nissan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after i put a few thousand miles on the car i am thinking about getting the nismo cams. does anyone know how much the dealer would charge. my dealer hooked it up for the exhaust and intake so i was thinking about 800 installed? is that about right? also i would like to hear personal feedback about them as well, like can you rev it higher or does it pull significantly better, does it sound nice and not rice. does it require tuning (nisssan says no).

Thanks
-Steve

PS my buddy with a RSX type-S said a spec with cams scares away RSX type Ss away.

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
8,328 Posts
doesn't really change the sound of the engine.....you can't change the rev limiter with them, but it does open up the top end better than any other n/a mod available.

·
Have I Hit 12's Yet?
5,325 Posts
chimmike said:
doesn't really change the sound of the engine.....

shiiit. i know some 200's with cams that sound MEAN at idle

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i havent tried yet nor will i but how high can you shift these cars? just passed six or do people go higher? like if i get the cams installed will i be able to rev near 7 grand and still have pulling power. is their any sound clips of any specs out their with cams is it noticable at all? you said dosent REALLY so would their be a before and after sound or just the same always?

on a side note im kinda confused with NA, i plan to turn this car into a DD and autocross/Short track race car. i will have the nismo exhaust and intake in by thursday. and then cams, later a header. what else can be done to get power out of a NA car? im used to turbos where you can turn a knob for 20 horsepower.

-Steve

·
Mofo fo life
2,103 Posts
the Spec-v isnt stable at more than 6500rpms and thats pushing it. there are stories out there about guys dropping valves saying that the valvetrain flew apart at 6700rpms! you'll notice alot more high end gain, but other than that you'll lose a bit of torque lower in the rev band.

You can call AEBS and have them build you pistons, rods and stuff like that, but at the moment the rotating assembly has to be all custom. A good idea would be to try and reduce the rod to stroke ratio (since it is so incredibly) high by building a custom crank shaft and rod kit. you'll lose a little displacement but the engine wont be so prone to knock and might have more stability at higher rpms.

Headers are a great way to get power out of the spec-v, but the problem is with exhaust the car sounds a little too high pitched. But the gains are worth the reduction in sound quality.

if you plan on raod-racing and auto-x, try beefing up the clutch and reducing the weight of the flywheel. JWT ( i think) makes a kit with both the clutch kit, and the light weight flywheel. with that the engine will rev faster, and acceleration is smoother. also rev matching becomes easier. with the kit and a JWT balance shaft removal you should notice the changes. Also, suspension plays a big role. NISMO hard rubber bushing kit, ES motor mounts, and a nice spring/shock combo( coil overs work too) should do the trick for starters. After that, i suggest sway bars, and a beefier FSTB.

other than that, i say just start looking into what you really want out of the car. a fast and un-reliable track car, or a competive and reliable car. ( the latter is the obvious choice). becuase to compromise between the two could be something that would cost too much to acheive

·
Not Anymore.
5,014 Posts
I have the NISMO cams and they change the idle tone significantly. You can hear a baboosh, baboosh, baboosh.

I think $800 is ridiculous! And most dealers will not install them because it is a R tune product. My guys say 250 for cams in our car, and they did a damned good job for mine.

As far as raising the rev limiter, you would need: rods, pistons, cams (custom would be preferable), valvesprings, valvetrain (i think) sprockets and AEM EMS as there is no aftermarket ECU that will tinker with the redline. All of these products exist but you are talking 10 grand easily (without labor) as universal EMS is 3,500 alone.

As far as gains, they are a must. Our cars suck in top end and the cams shift the powerband nicely to get more top, with minimal low end losses. If installed properly, they are highly streetable and add a top end that no other mod for our cars can.

-Zac-

·
Not Anymore.
5,014 Posts
EVOSTEVO said:
on a side note im kinda confused with NA, i plan to turn this car into a DD and autocross/Short track race car. i will have the nismo exhaust and intake in by thursday. and then cams, later a header. what else can be done to get power out of a NA car?
gank the balancer shaft (8whp). safc2 and tuning (10 +/-). ported throttle body (2-3). downpipe (6+). crank pully (couple). weight reduction? we take small steps to reach high horsepower lol

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the dealer is putting on my intake which is r-tuned and the service director is my friends brother so i figured that he could take care of it. i dont know how hard it is to put cams in this car so i figured 650 cams and 150 labor is eight but he knocked off 100 bucks off the exhaust and a good chunk for labor so maybe ~700 i dont know im gonna ask on tues or thurs

-Steve

·
Not Anymore.
5,014 Posts
EVOSTEVO said:
the dealer is putting on my intake which is r-tuned and the service director is my friends brother so i figured that he could take care of it. i dont know how hard it is to put cams in this car so i figured 650 cams and 150 labor is eight but he knocked off 100 bucks off the exhaust and a good chunk for labor so maybe ~700 i dont know im gonna ask on tues or thurs

-Steve
Oh...I thought you meant just labor for cam installs. 150 from someone who knows their stuff is a really good price.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
man no way i would pay more for installation than the cost of the part...well at least for cams

·
Registered
26 Posts
EVOSTEVO said:
man no way i would pay more for installation than the cost of the part...well at least for cams
EVOSTEVO said:
Dude, the service director may be your friends brother, but that is still money that can be used for other things. The exhaust is simple if you have jacks, and the intake takes maybe twenty minutes. Not trying to bring anyone down who has the stealership install simple parts, but save the money.

As for eveything else, i think 6200RPMs is the highest you SHOULD shift. Flying V was right, it would cost you a lot more to build up the capability to shift any higher. Stock internals aren't good for anything over ~6300. It would just be damaging over that. $800 is a great price for new cams installed. NickZac had some affordable HP options there, and like everyone else said, the cams help high end and sacrifice low end. A lot of people seem to favor that though and say they will take the sacrifice for the high end.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
05babygtr said:
Dude, the service director may be your friends brother, but that is still money that can be used for other things. The exhaust is simple if you have jacks, and the intake takes maybe twenty minutes. Not trying to bring anyone down who has the stealership install simple parts, but save the money.

As for eveything else, i think 6200RPMs is the highest you SHOULD shift. Flying V was right, it would cost you a lot more to build up the capability to shift any higher. Stock internals aren't good for anything over ~6300. It would just be damaging over that. $800 is a great price for new cams installed. NickZac had some affordable HP options there, and like everyone else said, the cams help high end and sacrifice low end. A lot of people seem to favor that though and say they will take the sacrifice for the high end.
i hear you but i dont want to touch this car myself. for two reasons 1 because im lazy and 2 because if i have the dealer do the service i will get free tires for life which is about 500 bucks so i figure if i spend a little more at the dealer in which they have nice prices getting free tire for LIFE is a good trade off. i guess 3 because when ever i worked on the evo my hands always got dirty and takes forever to clean like days.

·
Mofo fo life
2,103 Posts
the spec-v's fuel cut is at 6200rpms... anything over that is out of the picture with the way that the QR is set up. Just give people a little time to figure to motor out, as when that happens they will know the capabilities of the motor and produce more reliable parts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts