Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I have '97 Sentra with manual tranny and sometimes when I shift into the 2nd gear it grinds a little bit. The mileage is 58K. I just wanted to know - is this a common issue with Nissan's manual transmissions? Does syncros often wear out at such mileage?
What's the price to rebuild a tranny?

Thanks for the answers.

·
NF's Offical Post Whore
1,972 Posts
my 2nd has been grinding for quite a bit now but and my tranny fluid is full. I think it might just be the way I hit second or whatever. I'll look into that solution tho, thanks

·
Registered
205 Posts
Sadly enough, every car I've ever owned was a manual BUT my 200sx (/cry) but every one of them have had problems in second gear (not bad, just acts like you miss a gear or let out the clutch before getting the gear seated) after about 60-70k on the odometer, all different makes too so not one particular company, in every case it was the synchros but changing the fluid regularly does help significantly.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, am I gonna drive another 50K with this grinding (it's only sometimes)? As far as I understood, this is quite common?

·
Paging Mr. Herman
1,042 Posts
Does it grind all the time? If that is the case I would probably check it out, probably not serious but constant grinding can't be all that good.

I am reminded of my old Eclipse that would constantly grind into 2nd whenever the car was cold. I don't know if this has anything to do w/ your problem but I thought I'd throw it out. Sorry not much help.

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
VK, my car does the same thing, i ordered ES shifter bushings and a pacesetter short shifter should get here some time in this or the next week, ill let you know if they help

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To Zimmy - thanks, it will be interesting to find out.

To zeno - no, it does not do it all the time. Sometimes it does it when the car is cold, sometimes when it's warm. It does it mainly after I accelerate quickly on the 1st gear and then shift into the second.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts