Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I currently own a 2005 Altima. I have 20" rims on it. People keep telling me that I should get it lowered to get rid of the front wheel gap. I know nothing about lowering, so I was hoping I could get some help. Here is a link to my car:

http://www.sounddomain.com/memberpage/703349

I'm assuming that I only need to lower the front, because the rear tires are already very close to the fender. Or do I "lower" front and rear? I'm really confused. Can someone steer me in the right direction?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Again, I don't want to lower the rear, because my tires already rub when I have heavy passengers in the back.

So my question is, is it okay just to install the Eibach springs on the front tires? Or do you have to install front and rear at the same time?

·
Registered
44 Posts
felipestrong said:
Again, I don't want to lower the rear, because my tires already rub when I have heavy passengers in the back.

So my question is, is it okay just to install the Eibach springs on the front tires? Or do you have to install front and rear at the same time?
Dude looking at you pics If you lower your rear anymore your wheels wont move. Is that the stock setup cause your front has the gap and the rear looks like you lowered it already. I don't think you can only do the front I make a phone call to my buddy shop and get back to you.

Yeah dude you can do the front only if you want I called up and its cool you got the green light. My buddy was not there so I called eibach and they said you can heres the number if you have anything else to ask 1-951-256-8300

·
I miss good ol' OT
1,716 Posts
I can't imagine there being too much of a problem with lowering just the front. Trucks and older muscle cars are lowered up front or jacked up in the rear all of the time, but they are using blocks or leaf springs to accomplish this. I don't know how the car would react to having a different spring setup between the front an the back, but like I said, I can't see too much of an issue except for buying a complete kit to only use 2 springs.

·
El Chingon
1,752 Posts
Some people have mixed feelings about lowering only the front. Some say the ride is excellent while others say it is horrible. Are you sure you want to be driving around with a different spring rate? People that have done this have felt the front really stiff over bumps and turns while the back felt really loose and bumpy. The ride will be terrible, especially on 20s. You can ask Eibach and they probably won't recommend it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Coco said:
Some people have mixed feelings about lowering only the front. Some say the ride is excellent while others say it is horrible. Are you sure you want to be driving around with a different spring rate? People that have done this have felt the front really stiff over bumps and turns while the back felt really loose and bumpy. The ride will be terrible, especially on 20s. You can ask Eibach and they probably won't recommend it.
Well, if that's the case, then I guess I can't lower my car at all and I will be stuck with the gap up front. I can't lower the rear, cause the 20s are too big. So my only choice I thought was just to lower the front. :-(

·
El Chingon
1,752 Posts
You never know, though. Some people say the ride is great. I would try it out for myself and see how it feels. Bad thing is, you have to find someone who is selling only one pair of springs since no one sells only two springs.

·
Registered
103 Posts
felipestrong said:
Well, if that's the case, then I guess I can't lower my car at all and I will be stuck with the gap up front. I can't lower the rear, cause the 20s are too big. So my only choice I thought was just to lower the front. :-(
How are your 20's too big? Sounds like you got the wrong offset, and you need to roll the rear fender lips. What is the width of the wheel, offset, and the tire size you are running. With a 245/35/20 tire the overall diameter is only 0.45" larger than stock. You could lower the front only but that is something I would never personally do because of the different spring rates, but there are numerous people who have done this.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Smitty 3.5 said:
How are your 20's too big? Sounds like you got the wrong offset, and you need to roll the rear fender lips. What is the width of the wheel, offset, and the tire size you are running. With a 245/35/20 tire the overall diameter is only 0.45" larger than stock. You could lower the front only but that is something I would never personally do because of the different spring rates, but there are numerous people who have done this.
I don't mean that my 20's are too big to drive around on. I have 245/35/20s. They drive around fine. But when there are heavier people in the back sea, *then* my rear tires rub. Consequently, I do not want to lower the rear tires any more. If you look at the pics of my car (the link is in my signature), you will see that I have very little gap space in the rear. It's the front that is the problem.

·
Registered
103 Posts
felipestrong said:
I don't mean that my 20's are too big to drive around on. I have 245/35/20s. They drive around fine. But when there are heavier people in the back sea, *then* my rear tires rub. Consequently, I do not want to lower the rear tires any more. If you look at the pics of my car (the link is in my signature), you will see that I have very little gap space in the rear. It's the front that is the problem.
Wrong offset on the wheels, if they were sized correctly they would not rub at all. The rubbing issue has nothing to do with the fact that they are 20's or extra weight in the back it has to do with wheel width, offset and tire section width. Try rolling the fenders, all you need is a baseball bat.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts