Nissan Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I brought my car into a mechanic earlier today because of a clinking noise in the engine. He called and said that my timing chain was bad and would need to be replaced. I found the article at http://www.nissanforums.com/b14-95-...tructions-upper-timing-chain.html#post1229303 about simply replacing the timing chain tensioner. However, after picking up my car an hour ago, I read the full details on the invoice, which reads as follows:

"During the oil change it was found that the engine has noise coming from the timing chain. The timing chain would need to be replaced to correct the problem.

It was also found that crankcase pressure is higher than normal. This indicates that cylinder combustion pressure is bleeding into the crankcase. Engine would have to be replaced to fix problem."

Should I even try to do the upper tensioner? The car has only had two owners: me and my mom. It's got 120,000 miles on it. I've read about how the chain is supposed to be a lifetime part if taken care of, so maybe the tensioner will fix the noise. However, based on the crankcase pressure comment, I'm curious if I should just invest in a new car. I need a new control arm, brakes, and body work and all of this combined is slightly overwhelming me.

Thanks for any input. I have no problem trying out the tensioner replacement, but it seems futile if the engine pressure is all screwed up anyways...

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,282 Posts
I would not believe/trust one mechanic with such an important decision.
Is gas mileage Ok and the Oil consumption?
Check the compression, if its Ok and in spec I would say the engine is fine.
replace the tensioner /guides and see how it runs.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I changed out the tensioner which was just down to the metal. Everything looked beautiful, which includes the gears, timing chain, etc. Sealed it back up. When I checked my oil, it was an inch over the full mark, which is scary since I drove the thing home from the mechanic the night before. I drained about a quart of oil so that it was to the high mark on the dipstick and started it up. The timing chain noise is gone. A couple questions though...

1. Could the engine pressure have been high because of the crappy oil change this mechanic did?

2. Could my engine be damaged from driving 5 miles with an extra quart of oil?

3. Should I ask for some type of compensation for overfilling my engine and misdiagnosing it? I called this morning and the manager said "well, it says here in our computer that replacing a tensioner takes seven hours."

Maybe I'm overreacting here. I just feel sorta ripped off. My friend referred me to this mechanic shop saying they are honest as heck, so I bought it hook, line, and sinker.

(PS - They also said my tune-up would be $150 and when they were done they said, "actually it's $250, we forgot to quote labor." Is this normal? I feel ripped off.)

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,282 Posts
No i don't think the engine was damaged from the high Oil level, it happened all the time.
There has been some discussion about the front seal going out when this happens, but they are the weakest seal and leak often, mine went about 70K miles.

Depends on what they expected to change, a whole timing chain kit ?
Its unlikely they would open it up and just change the tensioner because the high labor cost just to do that, then the customer complains when its not fixed.

Well i think its common to feel ripped, buyer beware, make sure the work order is specific and you add all further work requires authorization, line through the blank spaces. If they say anything say once burned twice shy.
Glad its fixed !!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts