Nissan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all...

I was just wondering...Has anyone added a turbo to their QR25DE??? If so, how was the install, how much did it cost, where did you get it from etc...I was thinking of buying an '02 Spec-V, and I know I want a turbo, but I can't find much info on turboing this particular engine :(. Any help you can give would be appreciated. Thanks...

Jeremy

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
8,328 Posts
http://www.nissanforums.com/showthread.php?t=70277

and nobody from this board has boosted a QR, but plenty of people on other forums have.

however, I'd suggest NOT buyign a 2002, and going with a 2003. there were too many problems on the 02's from tranny gearing to engine issues, you wouldn't know the history of that car well enough to trust it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
chimmike said:
http://www.nissanforums.com/showthread.php?t=70277

and nobody from this board has boosted a QR, but plenty of people on other forums have.

however, I'd suggest NOT buyign a 2002, and going with a 2003. there were too many problems on the 02's from tranny gearing to engine issues, you wouldn't know the history of that car well enough to trust it.

I didn't realize that the '02 had that many problems...Thanks for the tips!

- Jeremy

·
Registered
871 Posts
coastie2140 said:
I didn't realize that the '02 had that many problems...Thanks for the tips!
Although we dissagree on whether the 02 was crap or not, Mike is 100% right, turbo'ing an 02 is not as good an idea if you have not yet bought the car. Starting with no car I would get an 03.
Read around on these forums and you will find tons of details on the changes that were made to the 03's and 04's based on the shortcommings of the 02.

·
Not Anymore.
5,014 Posts
Only reputable turbo kit to my knowledge is the PTI kit, unless JGY sells one now too. My guys in York are more than capable of piecing together a turbo system. The 02 is problem prone in the Spec, the SE-R 5 speed and auto however did not and do not seem as problem prone and are lighter than a Spec.

·
Registered
133 Posts
The 02 is the best model to turbo but you should do pistons, rods and upgrade your crankshaft bearings. Pull the balance shafts and the butterfly valves and it will last longer than if you never broke it open.
I needed a new crankshaft when mine was opened up (with 10K miles on it).
Use the money you save on the 02 model for internals and get those hot lava seats!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
NickZac said:
The 02 is problem prone in the Spec, the SE-R 5 speed and auto however did not and do not seem as problem prone and are lighter than a Spec.
Since I know I want to add a turbo it, would it be a "better" buy to look for a regular SE-R instead of a Spec-V??

·
Registered
114 Posts
coastie2140 said:
Since I know I want to add a turbo it, would it be a "better" buy to look for a regular SE-R instead of a Spec-V??
Depends. Edmunds.com lists the difference as about $1000. Is the 6-speed and LSD worth an extra K to you?

·
Registered
133 Posts
coastie2140 said:
Doubt it. They all got rings that were too hard and the oil feed in the crankshaft bearings were too small. Since it's the same motor I would guess that people who bought autos just don't drive them as hard (or Altimas).
But I'm only speaking of the early build date 02's. Transmission probs with 3rd gear in all 02's. My car ended up with 03 trans. too.

My sugestion of using an 02 was only if you are planning to build the internals a little. Weigh the costs.
Pistons/rods = $1000
Head and main studs = $170
BS rem. kit = $80
new nissan crankshaft bearings = reason with dealer
crankshaft if scored = fight with dealer (or micropolish if not bad = ?$).

I see a couple thousand bucks installed.
Plus gamble on transmission. But there too you can have gears changed and shot peened cuz you're in there, cyro treat and you're better than 03 again.
In the end you will have a better car IMO. But you are getting into more too.

BTW No one has taken this advice yet :)
Oh and the kits go for around $4000.

·
Not Anymore.
5,014 Posts
You could always get a treated crankshaft but if you need that, you are talking massive power.

If you want to go turbo and be built for the drag, an auto (built of course) is better over a manual any day.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If my car lasts long enough (I've had 2 of my last three cars totalled) I will turbo it. I have more than enough money to do it now, but I want to invest some of what I have first. You know, be responsible and all :( But when I do it, I'll do it right. That would mean about $6k from what I can tell.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts