Nissan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks -

I’ve got a question about the QR25DE engine in my 2009 Altima 2.5S. I’ve read that the service life of this motor is 120,000 miles. I assume this is how long the motor itself is expected to last before allegedly needing replacing.

I bought my 2009 Nissan Altima 2.5S with 82,000 miles in 2012. It now has 130,000 miles and I haven’t had to replace any parts other than brakes. I’ve kept up with regular oil changes and transmission fluid changes.

However, I know it needs several parts and I intend to do the work myself (most of it). It needs front struts, rear shocks, a timing chain (based on how its lurching and stuttering while accelling from a stop), rear rotors and pads, differential servicing, and possibly a tie rod or bushing or 2 (I have to investigate), a coolant flush, and I believe the idle tensioner needs replacing. I’m hoping it doesn’t need tranny work.

And just for good measure I was thinking of replacing the alternator, serpentine belt, spark plugs because I’m sure they’re all within their failure/need replacing range.

HOWEVER, before I spend about $2,000 in parts - I wanted to ask the advice and opinion of the fine people on this forum: Is my QR25DE engine with 130,000 miles on it worth putting $2,000 worth of new parts and elbow grease if the service life of the engine is 120,000?

Would I be better off selling it to a private party and investing in a tuner car that has a better history of longevity? In terms of motor/transmission. I would also like a vehicle that has upgrade potential, unlike the QR25DE.

My thanks in advance for your thoughts.

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
9,341 Posts
I've never heard of a 120,000 mile service life for the QR25DE engine and I worked for Nissan as a tech. As long as you service it properly per the manufacturer's recommendations, you should be able to see well over 200,000 miles without any issues and, who knows, maybe over 300,000? As far as the "lurching and stuttering" from a stop, I wouldn't necessarily assume that it's a worn timing chain issue and would be more inclined to suspect an issue with the CVT transmission, which is a weak spot on many Nissan vehicles. You may want to have it checked out before assuming and engine issue. Normally, I would expect to see cam/crank correlation trouble codes or pronounced chain rattling or whine with a stretched timing chain. So, I would look into that concern before making a decision regarding the rest of the service and repair work needed. If it needs an expensive CVT replacement, then it would make sense to skip the other work needed and look for what it appears you want: a car that has better performance potential.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your help!

Try Googling “QR25DE service life”, everything says 120,000 miles. Which seems odd to me, so I’m glad with your experience as a tech you haven’t heard of the 120,000 limitation.

I’m definitely going to have the CVT checked out before anything else.

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
6,160 Posts
It needs front struts, rear shocks, a timing chain (based on how its lurching and stuttering while accelling from a stop), rear rotors and pads, differential servicing, and possibly a tie rod or bushing or 2 (I have to investigate), a coolant flush, and I believe the idle tensioner needs replacing. I’m hoping it doesn’t need tranny work.

And just for good measure I was thinking of replacing the alternator, serpentine belt, spark plugs because I’m sure they’re all within their failure/need replacing range.

HOWEVER, before I spend about $2,000 in parts - I wanted to ask the advice and opinion of the fine people on this forum: Is my QR25DE engine with 130,000 miles on it worth putting $2,000 worth of new parts and elbow grease if the service life of the engine is 120,000?
In regards to the car lurching/stuttering, I would follow SMJ's advice about checking out the CVT. If the CVT turns out to be OK, then a general tune-up is in order. The spark plugs should be replaced every 105,000 mi according to the FSM so if they havn't been replaced, it's now needed. New plugs may fix the stuttering. Another possibility for the lurching/stuttering may be marginal camshaft position/crankshaft position sensors without setting any fault codes. Several forum members had similar problems and the fix was replacing the sensors.

Is it worth putting in $2,000 worth of new parts just to anticipate a trouble free operating environment; I don't think so; it's a false sense of security. I say, if it's working correctly, don't mess with it. If you're so paranoid about failure then maybe you should consider buying a NEW car with extended warranty.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot for your input, lots of good points.

I actually just bought a brand new leftover 2017 Altima 2.5SR 🙂. Now just trying to figure out the best move for the 2009.

·
Nissan Enthusiast
2,932 Posts
Get it checked quickly with a Nissan dealer because you might be near the end of the extended CVT warranty. Good luck with it and enjoy the new ride.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Aren’t I past the warranty by now?

Correction: it’s a 2009 Altima 2.5S with 128,500 miles.

Please let me know if my warranty would still be in effect 🙂. Thanks!

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
6,160 Posts
A standard new car Nissan warranty covers 3 years / 36,000 miles.
The standard power train warranty covers 5 years / 60,000 miles.
2003-2010 Vehicles equipped with a Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) also have a 10-year /120,000 mile CVT limited warranty extension.

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
9,341 Posts
The shame is that Nissan still hasn't resolved the problems with the CVT transmission. My friend just bought a 2016 Altima with 45K. miles on it and yesterday she was having problems on the way home with it slipping. I pulled a code P0776 which is a "B" shift pressure solenoid and then found an 80-something page TSB for this issue on 2015-16 Altimas. Going by the flow chart, it'll either need a valve body replaced OR the valve body and sub-assembly (if there is damage to the chain), requiring removal of the trans in either case. Fortunately, it's still under the 5/60 powertrain warranty!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts