Nissan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 spec-v, and can anyone tell me how much can be shaved off the head??? Has anyone done the fill between the valves to make it a closed chamber??? Finally who can recommend new cams that will fit my car and produce power????

Thanks!!!!

· Powered By hopes & dreams
9,851 Posts
before even thinking about headwork, you should do all the bolt ons, down to the very last possible thing you can do.

Then, once that's all done, learn more about the engine specifically.

as for mods, I suggest you search this forum, because there's plenty of info already here that doesn't need to be briefly rehashed over and over again.

· Not Anymore.
9,075 Posts
if you want cams that are going to yield a real gain, you are going to need to have them custom made. at the least you will need springs and possibly a type of engine management (an ecu flash is comming for our cars in not too long). iirc the jwt gives about 8whp nd the nismos are a bit less. neither causes low end loss if you install them properly. if you are truely serious about making your car a street monster, i would reccomend at least looking into AEBS, as not many other companies will do custom work on our cars like they can and have.

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I already have the following:

-JWT balance shaft kit
-OBX header (16.6 whp add on a mustang dyno)
-Thermal R&D Exhaust (6.9 whp add on a mustang dyno)
-AEM intake
-75 shot form NX

I broke off two of the ends on #2 and #4 spark plugs handing a SRT-4's ass to him. I thought while the head is off checking everything why not add some go, and upgrade the head

Thanks for any information, you guys have been a great help!!!!!!

· Not Anymore.
9,075 Posts
how has a 75 shot worked for you? i know guys that run 50 but i dont know anyone who is running 75. are you using a step colder spark plugs and irridium or copper ones?

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I want to go to a bigger shot but I think I am going to do a custom turbo first. I have a MSD digital window switch to bring on the juice at 2600rpm and shut down at 6100rpm. I have two bottle heaters and the NX blanket. I had my car on a mustang dyno and put down 265 whp. I am hoping to get to the 450whp with a turbo then bring the juice for over 500whp. I have tuned my nitrous with the wide band and ended up with a 46 jet on the NX side and a 26 on the fuel side..

· Not Anymore.
9,075 Posts
silverbullet said:
I want to go to a bigger shot but I think I am going to do a custom turbo first. I have a MSD digital window switch to bring on the juice at 2600rpm and shut down at 6100rpm. I have two bottle heaters and the NX blanket. I had my car on a mustang dyno and put down 265 whp. I am hoping to get to the 450whp with a turbo then bring the juice for over 500whp. I have tuned my nitrous with the wide band and ended up with a 46 jet on the NX side and a 26 on the fuel side..
Your gonna need a lot of work to reach that...I think the highest dyno on a Spec was 405WHP and then it blew. You're gonna need T Sleves, rods, custom cams with springs and seals, upgraded pumps, upgraded injectors, upgraded heads, upgraded pistons, maybe an upgraded crankshaft and of course a form of engine management at the least. And of course you would need other forms of upgrades such as brakes, tyres, tranny upgrades, etc. Would you run this off of a T3/T4? If not, you may even need a custom mainfold. I only know a few people who can get this work done for our engines...it would be a helluva job and if you do in fact do this, definately keep me updated.

· Registered
83 Posts
silverbullet said:
I already have the following:

-JWT balance shaft kit
-OBX header (16.6 whp add on a mustang dyno)
-Thermal R&D Exhaust (6.9 whp add on a mustang dyno)
-AEM intake
-75 shot form NX

I broke off two of the ends on #2 and #4 spark plugs handing a SRT-4's ass to him. I thought while the head is off checking everything why not add some go, and upgrade the head

Thanks for any information, you guys have been a great help!!!!!!
you should also look into
ported throttle body
crank pulley
moving ur knock sensor
motor mounts
downpipe
that will give you some noticable gains.
and as for cams i'd go w/ jwt cuz they are cheaper and slightly more aggressive. and if anyone every releases a ecu then the cames will help out a lot more.
the qr25 flows very well already not a whole lot of room for change. but you can always make it slightly better.
if u really want big power go w/ a pison/rod combo

· Not Anymore.
9,075 Posts
NISMO82 said:
you should also look into
ported throttle body
crank pulley
moving ur knock sensor
motor mounts
downpipe
that will give you some noticable gains.
and as for cams i'd go w/ jwt cuz they are cheaper and slightly more aggressive. and if anyone every releases a ecu then the cames will help out a lot more.
the qr25 flows very well already not a whole lot of room for change. but you can always make it slightly better.
if u really want big power go w/ a pison/rod combo
If he is going for big turbo power, hes going to need to do some very custom things including custom motor mounts and definately at least a 3 inch turbo back exhaust.

· Not Anymore.
9,075 Posts
NISMO82 said:
dont need custom motor mounts.
place racing makes some good ones.
and so does PTI
I heard the PRs had still a massive amount of wheel hop and IIRC they are no longer made. I thought PTI just sold the ES MMI? I didnt know they actually made mounts.

· Mofo fo life
8,027 Posts
the SR20 cracnk replacement would be almost necessary if you want over 300 whp and have the motor last. The QR's rod to stroke ratio is extremely high, and decreasing the displacement while decreasing the ratio will bring down the chance of blowing your head and rods. you'd need a custom oil pan and would have to machine the crank a bit, but IIRC there are a few guys that have done this mod.

the PR's are no longer made, i went with ES motor mounts and havent had a problem yet

check out www.ssr-engineering.com they make a turbo kit for our cars and would be much cheaper to start out with, plus they could get you in touch with custom fabricators that would help you on your way to 500whp.

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So far I have got valves, spring, retainers, etc from REV. I am waiting on cams. I had talked to someone at AEM, they told me that and ecu would be available for my car in late '05 so that is when i would have my manifold made and start my turbo project. I do have a QR25 motor that came out of a wrecked '04 spec and the speed shop I use has told me to send it to some company in California to have the block sleeved and have the head work done. This company has I guess done some crazy SR20'S.

· Registered
134 Posts
The crankshaft is the weaklink in my set-up (and transmission). Upgrade those and 550whp is possible without NO2. I did run about 26psi thru it for a very short run and it held.
Here's a near complete mod list if it helps;

Turbo Setup:AEBS ductile iron sleeves (closed deck),Pauter rods (4mm longer) made by special agreement with JWT when they lost a Crower rod designed for them,ARP rod bolts ,Arias 8.5:1 pistons (with spiral-locks), JWT custom ground camshafts, JWT valvesprings, Bowl porting and new valve guides/seals, AEBS head studs, AEBS main studs, Oil galleys and bearings modified on block, Brand new Nissan crankshaft, New bearings, seals, o-rings, and timing components, Fully blueprinted bottom end, Block was acid dipped and cleaned also line bored JWT Balance shaft removal kit, Billet fuel rail, Removed butterfly valves, KA24DE throttle body, Custom alluminum gas pedal conversion (B15 SE), New B15 SE throttle cable, Crank trigger TIG welded to crankshaft pulley with alluminum bracket for Crank trigger sensor, 3-bar MAP sensor (29psi of boost- readable), Electromotive TEC III standalone, TEC III DFI coil packs, Manifold temp sensor,Coolant temp sensor (factory ga doesn't work, and not a concern), Wideband 02 sensor setup (can datalog on the TEC III), Custom MSD plug wires, Walbro 255lph pump, MSD 72lb injectors and clips, Custom TEC III wiring harness, Super Sequential blow off valve, 2" and 2.5" intercooler piping, Spearco bar and plate intercooler with cast tanks
Alluminum mounting brackets for intercooler, TIG welded schedule 40 turbo manifold, GT3540 ballbearing turbocharger (with Precision T3 and T04E housings), Tial 38mm wastegate with dump tube 3" downpipe,
3" exhaust with stainless muffler, JWT alluminum flywheel , JWT heavy duty clutch and pressure plate (good for 600whp), Perma-cool electric fans,
New 2003 transmission, Filled in motor mounts, Fuel return line setup, Aeromotive fuel pressure regulator, B15 SE fuel pressure sending unit/canister,
HKS EVC EZ boost controller, Autometer boost guage, Autometer oil pressure guage, Autometer EGT guage, Custom guage mount (where the factory stereo was), Red top Optima battery, Remote mount kit for the battery (puts battery in the trunk), Stainless steel braided oil feed line and drain line

Boosting 10.5# daily for 330whp
391whp 330trq @ 17# with Sunoco94 **Mustang dyno #'s

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.