Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Tune it
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know who makes higher compression pistons? IE 10:1 or 10.1:1

If info on this was posted in another thread then hit me back with the link please. Any help is appericiated thanks!

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
8,328 Posts
they will have to be custom made.

If you haven't heard what we've said about NA on the QR, don't waste your money. the team RTR QR25 makes about 250hp, but runs 13:1 compression running race gas and pretty much needs replacing after each race (if it makes it through the race to begin with).

Better off just sticking with bolt ons or going with forced induction.

·
Tune it
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
13:1 holy shit! Well I'm definatly not going to go the turbo route on my spec. I'll have some 10:1 pistons made and get the motor totally balanced, honed, knife edged, and polished. JE Pistons says on theisr web site that if you don't see it they'll make it. Plus I'm sure there are some companies out there to do the same. Why wouldn't you think that bumping up the compression on an all motor beast would be the best way to go?

I have all the bolt ons now I'm restless at 13sec

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
8,328 Posts
13 second bolt ons? I'm callin BS on that without timeslips and mod list, unless you're juicing. I can't see you making much better than mid-high 13s after spending a good few grand on all that all-motor work......without nitrous. WITH nitrous....of course 12s are possible

going n/a on 10:1 compression (bumping half a point, mind you) is essentially gonna get you 3-5hp maybe. if you're lucky. And that's after spending $650-750 for the custom pistons.

Doesn't sound like you've researched what it's like to go all-motor................deep pockets makes power......nothing less.

oh and if you run 10:1 you have to run 93 octane or better.......you can't run 91, especially with the knock sensor on the QR being so sensitive.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I'm with Mike on this one too, you need to do a little more research. I assume that you'll re-sleave the blcok when you take it apart right? What cams do you have right now, because you should think about a set of custom cams if your going to bump your compression and sleave your block. Also get better rods since the QR rods are like twigs. I'm not saying you have not looked into this, I just think you should look a little closer before you drop $2k-$3k into a project. You also realize that the ECU has not been cracked and therefore you will have to get some kind of standalone unit. Plus at least a few hours a day over a few days on the dyno to tune and find the sweet spots.

All of what you want to do can be done, but the only question you asked was about the pistons. If it were me, I would have more questions than where to get pistons made. And I know a little bit about this stuff....

Also what mods that your running 13s? spray I assume, what shot?

·
Not Anymore.
5,014 Posts
ittamaticstatic said:
75 shot for right now. I'm debating a 100 shot just for the track.
The engine can't handle 100 with stock internals. A few people have found this out the hard way.

What is your full mod list?

·
Tune it
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All Bolt-ons, inserts, cams, and NX wet for power. All the suspension mods except front sway and LTB. LTB to low and front sway will give me unwanted understeer. Short Shifter, Tenzo R wheels and oh I ran on slicks mounted to some S-13 rims. Basically what I'm gunna do next is get the QR balanced and knife-edged, honed and polished. Maybe even have my stock cams regrinded to yield some more power. True I need to do more research on this, I have only started thinking about it recently.

Yeah 10:1 won't give me much more for sure and the gains definitely won't offset the cost. Any higher and 93 pump gas might not even be enough. I'm gunna do some real looking into on this though.

·
Registered
871 Posts
ittamaticstatic said:
I'm gunna do some real looking into on this though.
Thats good to hear. You may decide that this is still what you want to do, but I think you may also find that its a lot of money to drop. There is at least one person/shop selling built QR's whole. You might consider going that route if you want an NA monster. Also make sure, either route, that you mention that you want to use a 100 shot. Done right you should be fine with 100 shot on a build motor. Like I said before, make sure you look at this carfully. Good luck to you, and keep us posted.

·
Tune it
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sure thing....Do you remember who is building the motors? I found 3 QR25 motors here in town for cheap. (supposedly out of wrecked cars) I was thinking I would save money doing what we could ourselves after sending it to the machine shop.

Oh I haven't touched the knock sensor, Balance shaft, or coolant bypass.

What happened to those who ran a 100 shot? Bearing, rods, detonation?

·