Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
SentraRacer97 said:
power shifting?? anyone does it??? anyone really know how??? i'm just curious. heh:cool:
only icy stunnaz shift their auto during normal street driving and only icy stunnaz put it in neutral on lights and long hills :cool:
that's why I got tranny cooler... MUAHAHA

·
Driver
736 Posts
Powershifting

If you mean manual shifting, I do it while drag racing and at the auto-x. It's the only way to really get power with the automatic.

·
Registered
351 Posts
SentraRacer97 said:
what i need to know is how u guys power shift? anyone care to explain how they do it the correct way?:p
well it's a delicate procedure... not .. LOL..
you don't have to press the button on the handle when you shift shift from 1 to 2 to D, so just slam on gas pedal and push the handle forward with your fingertip when the tach gets beyound 6000rpm (better yet at 5500)... don't forget to take it off overdrive

I rarely downshift though, so I don't recommend that.

·
Registered
351 Posts
James said:
dammit autos suck...
well it depends... when it's powered by 4 cyl 1.6L engine that produces hardly over 100hp.. well then yeah.. auto is not great... but for cars with over 300hp A/T are less maintenance, give steady 1/4 times and other benefits... but in general, yeah manuals are way more fun!

·
in^3,N20,RPM,PSI
4,652 Posts
By Nature said:

well it depends... when it's powered by 4 cyl 1.6L engine that produces hardly over 100hp.. well then yeah.. auto is not great... but for cars with over 300hp A/T are less maintenance, give steady 1/4 times and other benefits... but in general, yeah manuals are way more fun!
ya i know...

hey you guys manually shifting the auto, do you bounce off the rev limiter? don't think that's a wise idea...

i'm thinking about getting another tranny cooler and putting it in series with the one i have to further reduce heat. i've noticed less heat helps firmer shifts.

·
Former SuperMod
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
James said:
dammit autos suck... don't flame me cuz i have one. in either case i do with what i got and i make it as fast as it'll go.

thanks for creating the thread dood... now everyone knows who to laugh at hahahaha... j/k.

No problem man, glad to see other people own the dreaded slushbox like me. :D

As for the shifting, I have done it on occassion. It's all about knowing where your gears top out and at what RPM they are at when you want to up and down shift manually. I had (for a short while, became too ricey for me) an Autometer tach so I was able to see what my gears really were and where the car liked to pull. 1st went to almost 35mph, 2nd to almost 75 --- yeah I'm aware speedos are off, but these figures are via my OEM speedo. As for redline, it appeared that my automatic GA-motored Sentra went to near 6500rpms, which I thought to be low. I believe (again, more speculation... no flames plz) the redline is a tad higher on the 5-speed GA's.

Hmmm, yet another thread to start? :rolleyes: hehe j/k

·
Former SuperMod
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Forgot to add.... I have bounced off the limiter once or twice when testing my redline, and don't feel I did any real harm to it. With the CAI, it made a very light "fhoomp" sound, as if not enough air was being sucked into the filter / piping. This is not the same as the SR20's I have heard with CAI's at redline. They receive a nice "BAH BAH BAH!" note. Maybe the GA-motor is good for something after all!!!

·
Driver
736 Posts
I like to manual shift at 6600rpm, but on occasion I'll bounce off the limiter when staying in 1st at an auto-x course. Since it's not for more than a few seconds, it doesn't feel like any harm is done. Oh yeah, in the B14s the rev limit is at 6900rpm, but there's no power above 6600rpm because of the vtc.

·
in^3,N20,RPM,PSI
4,652 Posts
the GA16DE redlines at 6900, you should be able to hit it with manual shifting... if you look in your manual that came with the car or a FSM it should tell you what speed the gears top out at... don't know if those figures are for normal grandma driving or what.

i think that the damage in bouncing off the limiter is that the fuel cuts off momentarily and the car leans out for that time... i don't think it damages the engine if you do it once or twice but i think keeping it up in that range can be harmful to it.

you know, i was pulling out of one of those So Cal carpool regulation thingys to control people going on the highway... and i realized how fast i went from 0-60! it was like before I hit the end of the little merger road (there was ramp so i wasn't going like down a hill.), I was already doing 75! I almost smacked a new Saturn Vue but it was pleasantly suprising, unfortunately there's no consistancy...:mad:

·
Registered
351 Posts
I've hit a limiter once and I've heard loud popping sounds... it sounded really cool, but I'm not sure if it's harmful to the engine... is that backfire or reversion or something like that? I had HS headers and CAI at that time BTW

·
Registered
390 Posts
when you step on the gas when ur on 3rd or 4th gear you feel the car down shifting automatically. I dont think this harms the trany. If it does then I wont do it again. but I compare that to down shifting from 4th to 3rd or 3rd to 2nd. Is just like stepping on the gas.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
D'ooooooooooh...the redline is 6900 I forgot....whenever I manual shift I shift at about 5900-6200....somewhere in that region. I need to put in my tranny cooler though....I wont feel comfortable manual-shifting til I do that. :(

1 - 20 of 76 Posts