Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been putting the whole 10W-30 5qt in my engine every time i change oil.. is that too much.. will that damage my car

Thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
aimlesspee said:
I have been putting the whole 10W-30 5qt in my engine every time i change oil.. is that too much.. will that damage my car

Thanks
it only takes 3.5 so your putting in an extra quart and a half. it can cause windage problems with the crank but i dont think it will really hurt anything.
why are you putting that much in anyway.

·
wont go any faster?
475 Posts
aimlesspee said:

Thanks
it can cause the front main oil seal to leak. but yeah i wouldnt recomend you use 5qts any more

·
Registered
114 Posts
I can say from experience that putting in more than 4 to 4.5 quarts will eventually cause front main seal leakage. I'm really uptight about how much I put in now.

·
Now w/20% More Magic
199 Posts
I agree with what the others say however I have used to put about 41/4 quarts for about 2 years with no ill effect. I wouldnt sweat it but I would stop putting so much and drain about a quart out. 5 quarts is too much could cause problems with cirrulation

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
8,328 Posts
5 quarts? in a GA16? Are you insane?

The GA16 needs no more than 3-3.5 quarts. Any more than that CAN and WILL damage the engine.

have you guys never heard of checking the owners manual or anything? Geez. even 4.5 quarts is TOO much.

get a dipstick. Fill the car with 3 quarts. run it for 5-10 mins, let it sit for 10 mins, then come back and check the dipstick.

if you need to add some, do so. but NOT a whole other quart~!!!!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
chimmike said:
5 quarts? in a GA16? Are you insane?

The GA16 needs no more than 3-3.5 quarts. Any more than that CAN and WILL damage the engine.

have you guys never heard of checking the owners manual or anything? Geez. even 4.5 quarts is TOO much.

get a dipstick. Fill the car with 3 quarts. run it for 5-10 mins, let it sit for 10 mins, then come back and check the dipstick.

if you need to add some, do so. but NOT a whole other quart~!!!!
kekkeke.. yea.. i read somewhere on here to just add the whole bottle.. but then i did my GF's 1.8 QG18DE oil change.. and even that wouldn't take 5.. only 4..

Thanks for the responses, i feel embarrassed!

EDIT: I've read the Owners Manual dude.. they don't say anything like.. "3.5 quarts" .. their table is confusing

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
8,328 Posts
dude, THE QG OWNERS MANUAL SAYS 2 7/8 QUARTS! I use 3.5 quarts, but NO MORE. and if anything, the GA needs LESS !!!!

did you read the owners manual or just dump oil in? You don't even check the freaking dipstick? I'll get a damn pic of the page in my owners manual. If it's confusing, maybe you should let a 15 year old read it.

·