Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 89 pulsar and I want to do an engine swap but I don't know anything about Nissan's? Can I do a swap for under 2g's? And if so could i please be informed

·
CA18DET Wizard
1,366 Posts
You can do a swap for under $2g if you do it yourself. What engine do you have in your car now?

·
CA18DET Wizard
1,366 Posts
You can do a CA18DET swap, but if you use your tranny and flywheel from the CA16 you;ll run into the same problem as the SR20 gang is having (busted trannies). But then again, I haven't had the CA16DE in my car long enough to mess up a tranny so it's really a toss of the coin. In order for you to do CA18DET swap you'll need the CA18's engine harness and I recommend changing the tranny as soon as you can. Search around for an engine and if you can't find one, I have 2 or I can sell you a manifold with turbo or anything that you need to do the swap. If interested, let me know off list by emailing me and we can discuss this further.

·
CA18DET Wizard
1,366 Posts
BTW, what's the fastest you,ve driven your car?

·
CA18DET Wizard
1,366 Posts
It all depends on how fast you want to go. Usually holding the pedal long enough in certain gears (4th & 5th) would get you well over 150mph with no fuss.......

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So no messsing with engine mounts etc?
Would the tranny from an NX ca18de be good enough?
How about ECU? ca18det or reprogram ca16de?

·
CA18DET Wizard
1,366 Posts
You can either reprogram your current CA16DE ecu or change the wiring to the 88 pulsar SE CA18's harness and use that computer. I have two reprogrammed JWT ECU if interested! You can use the ca18's tranny and you will have to change your clutch pedal to the hydraulic one out of the 88 SE.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
So you are saying:
I would only need the ca18det motor.
For engine mounts, no mods, just get some for 88 SE.
If I decide to reprogram ECU or get it from you, no harness needed.
My currrent tranny will not work, I will need one from an 88 SE.

I am trying to decide if I should get a whole ca18det clip or just a motor. I do not want to end up with a lot of junk I cannot use. I am also trying to save as much as I can. From what you are saying, I would not necessarily need anything from the clip except the motor. I could of cause sell the stuff to ther guys or use it for later repairs. Would the tranny from the ca18det clip work on my car, that way I could kill 2 birds with one stone.

what do you think?

·
CA18DET Wizard
1,366 Posts
Would the tranny from the ca18det clip work on my car, that way I could kill 2 birds with one stone.
Yes! As long as it is not the 4wd unit or you will be in posession of a tranny you cannot use.
what do you think?
Purchase a CA18DET motor and either have your ecu reprogrammed or I'll sell you mine. But you will need the engine harness from the 88 SE pulsar. My ECU is programmed for 550CC injectors, bigger AFM and a 3 bar map sensor.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ca18det U11 or U12?

I have read some recomendations that say U11. I am not sure if that's only for the Sentras or NXs as well.

·
CA18DET Wizard
1,366 Posts
Easier for you guys in the pulsars to drop in a U11 because it has the throttle body crossing the valve cover. I use the U12 because my car had neither so I chose the newer one with the intercooler on top and the turbo sitting in a better position.

·
Banned
1,254 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm in Indianapolis, Indiana (zip 46260). How much for a ca18det and shipping.

Thanks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just to help clear things up a little bit, you can install a CA18DET and use the factory 1.8 litre gearbox. Thing is you can't truely dog it day after day like a normal CA18DET gearbox, it will eventually fail but you can use the factory one until you swap the gearboxes. I have heard that you can also you the factory CA18DE ECU after doing a few things. I am not sure what because I don't have a CA18DET yet. Other then that it will pretty much bolt straight in the Pulsar engine bay.

·
Banned
1,254 Posts
Um, change your font, it's annoying. And the CA18DE tranny has already been discussed that it won't last too long.

·
CA18DET Wizard
1,366 Posts
Where did he get the CA18DE tranny won't last? If your tranny is crap from the start, then go figure. Check the archives and it will be discovered that the CA16DE's tranny's reliability might become an issue, but it has yet to be tested. The CA18DE's tranny is not that much different than the bluebird's except for the final drive ratio. The CA18DE is exceptional and I recommend it for street racing (Though I don't recommend street racing) and drag racing (organized function). The gears are nice and perfectly spaced.

·
Banned
1,254 Posts
Ahhh, too many damn numbers. Meant CA16DE. I don't exacly see why the CA16 tranny wouldn't last. Nissan trannys can take some massive abuse, but the occasional 5th gear syncro failure. You'd think Nissan would use the same tranny for the CA16 and CA18 motors.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts