Nissan Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back I posted with a gripe about Chilton's oil pan instructions. Seeing as how the book tries to cover multiple years and models all on the same page I guess they get it wrong sometimes. Or maybe I just have bad luck.

But, at least on my 89 ka sohc hatch, you have to unbolt the engine from its mounts, raise it up about 4-5 inches. To get the oil pan off. I think once you are at that point you can disregard their advice on removing the stabilizer bar.

The engine would only lift up about 1.75 inches, after that I was lifting the car up from the jack stands. Was'nt gonna go underneath there.

I did not bother removing the engine from its mounts. At that point I would have rather sold my soul for an sr20. THe oil pan would not clear the crankshaft, so I moved it to the side as much as possible. I just used a flashlight/mirror/fingers/neck contortion method to determine the condition of the rods. They were fine.

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No real question was inferred. I just noticed that when I am trying to get things done, I search this site and nothing usefull comes up. Then I post and sometimes I get helpfull info, other times I don't get any useable advice.

I just figured If someone was trying to drop the oil pan for whatever reason, they could use the search button and this thread could help out.

I originally posted a question about this last month and got about 2 replies. One in disbelief on how complicated something as simple as this usually is, and one reiterating the chiltons instructions.

I scoured the web for info, and the best I got was a "how to" turbo install that mentioned you had to raise the engine 4-5 inches to get the oil pan off.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.