Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back I posted with a gripe about Chilton's oil pan instructions. Seeing as how the book tries to cover multiple years and models all on the same page I guess they get it wrong sometimes. Or maybe I just have bad luck.

But, at least on my 89 ka sohc hatch, you have to unbolt the engine from its mounts, raise it up about 4-5 inches. To get the oil pan off. I think once you are at that point you can disregard their advice on removing the stabilizer bar.

The engine would only lift up about 1.75 inches, after that I was lifting the car up from the jack stands. Was'nt gonna go underneath there.

I did not bother removing the engine from its mounts. At that point I would have rather sold my soul for an sr20. THe oil pan would not clear the crankshaft, so I moved it to the side as much as possible. I just used a flashlight/mirror/fingers/neck contortion method to determine the condition of the rods. They were fine.

·
Registered
446 Posts
So is there a question here? Not trying to be a dick, but I really can't find a question in your thread. And as for lifting the engine out and it not going any further (which wasn't a direct question but I'll help anyway)... I just pulled my DE, and there are 2 engine mounts, when you start lifting it up the mounts/brackets on the egine got caught on the threads of the mounts on the car (make sense), so you have to play with them a little bit to free 'em up, also, try dropping your driveshaft cradle, and tranny mount, that will let them go at more of an angle, thus you can lift the engine up a little bit more...

·
KA24DET
1,000 Posts
240luvr said:
So is there a question here? Not trying to be a dick, but I really can't find a question in your thread. And as for lifting the engine out and it not going any further (which wasn't a direct question but I'll help anyway)... I just pulled my DE, and there are 2 engine mounts, when you start lifting it up the mounts/brackets on the egine got caught on the threads of the mounts on the car (make sense), so you have to play with them a little bit to free 'em up, also, try dropping your driveshaft cradle, and tranny mount, that will let them go at more of an angle, thus you can lift the engine up a little bit more...
Besides the mount threads getting caught, you can go all out and drop the transmission. Then the engine should have more play to raise. Getting 4" out of it shouldn't really require that drastic of measures, especially for something like removing the oil pan, but if you have to drop the transmission, you have to drop the transmission. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No real question was inferred. I just noticed that when I am trying to get things done, I search this site and nothing usefull comes up. Then I post and sometimes I get helpfull info, other times I don't get any useable advice.

I just figured If someone was trying to drop the oil pan for whatever reason, they could use the search button and this thread could help out.

I originally posted a question about this last month and got about 2 replies. One in disbelief on how complicated something as simple as this usually is, and one reiterating the chiltons instructions.

I scoured the web for info, and the best I got was a "how to" turbo install that mentioned you had to raise the engine 4-5 inches to get the oil pan off.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Too bad dropping the tranny is a pain in the @$$... I unbolted the tranny from my engine so i could pull it easier, it comes out really easily, but some of the tranny bolts are such a pain to get to... I had to drop the driveshaft cradle, and tranny mount so we could get some type of an angle out of it so that I could get some tools up there to get the damn bolts off...

·
KA24DET
1,000 Posts
240luvr said:
Too bad dropping the tranny is a pain in the @$$... I unbolted the tranny from my engine so i could pull it easier, it comes out really easily, but some of the tranny bolts are such a pain to get to... I had to drop the driveshaft cradle, and tranny mount so we could get some type of an angle out of it so that I could get some tools up there to get the damn bolts off...
Yeah, dropping the transmission mounts and DS cradle are standard operating procedure for dropping the transmission. The bolts on top can be a real pain to get to, but if you're lucky, you can combine everything into one big job, i.e. replace oil pain gasket, clutch, and transmission fluid at the same time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts