Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
PB JELLY TIME!
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does pulling the hand brake while making a fast turns mess up anything besides the tires? Is it *safe* to do once in a while (for the car I mean)

·
Hates everyone.
1,921 Posts
What are you doing to your poor car? First it was police style turns, now handbrake torture! A problem you might have is stretching the cable, rendering the handbrake ineffective. Also, I have never found the need to apply the handbrake in a fast turn. It is far more effective (and less scary) at slower speeds. There's a guy in our club who does autocross with one hand on the wheel and the other operates the handbrake. Not good form but he's fast.

On a side note, I've heard of a "mod" for the B13 handbrake that involves taking it apart and reassembling it with the springs repositioned to emulate a "fly off" style handbrake like those used in WRC, while still allowing the it to be used as a normal parking brake.

·
freakish poster
1,236 Posts
I used to work in a car rental place and I did the e-brake thing....ended up losing control....went right into a ditch at 40mph.
It is way too easy to lose control with this antic. (How did I get out of not getting fired? I told my boss a "small animal darted in front of me." He knew I was lying, but we had a good relationship and he was an old time car nut himself so he knew what the score was.)

·
Still moderating..sorta
1,324 Posts
My hand brake cable is stretched. oops. The only time it actually helps is in the snow. Oh yeah it works ok in the rain but it's not very predictable.

·
Registered
46 Posts
But its so much fun.

I used to do it in a dirt field, actually it was the fair grounds parking lot. I stopped one night when I saw a cop turn on his lights and make a u-turn. Luckily by then i had kicked up so much dust, he didn't see which exit I took and I was at the opposite end of he lot. I parked my car at my friends garage. He lived across the street.

I don't think it helps turning much. At least not with me, but it is very fun. Especially when you're with someone your trying to impress. I was pretty good at it. But I did learn about weight transferring in my car by doing it. So in the end, I think it helped my overall driving.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts