Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey!

For the past 2 months i've been getting around 20 miles per gallon consistantly. So i guess my car isn't going into closed loop. My problem is that I can't figure out/ dont understand how to pull the engine codes. I have an 88' sentra with an e16i. The computer is the one with the knob that you turn with a screwdriver. There's 5 different modes but i'm kinda confused on what mode is used for what??? I have a Chiltons manual with the code list but i still cant figure it out.

-Thanks

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
acually i'm taking this back....I couldn't figure out for the life of me why i was getting code 55 and it never changed. The book doesn't give an error for 55. Then i realized it was the code for a properly running computer :loser:

What would still be usefull is a list of what the 4 other modes are used for???

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Biscuit said:
When was the last time you replaced the o2 sensor?
about 1.5 months ago, brand new bosch

I just poured a bottle of STP fuel injector cleaner in my tank, i'm not very optimistic about that but we'll see in a few more days how it worked. I'm leaning toward a gas leak somewhere, i smell gas inside my car faintly, but i also spilled a bunch in the carpet a couple months back. I check periodically to see if i'm getting any spillage underneath, but i havent seen any as of yet. I'm gonna pull off the fuel pump inspection cover thing and see if there's anyhthing going on under there....there was a repair done there a while back.

·
M-Unit Racing
627 Posts
Please list ALL of the things that you have done to improve gas mileage so we can help you out better.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Biscuit said:
Please list ALL of the things that you have done to improve gas mileage so we can help you out better.

okay....

1-replaced o2 sensor
2-new cap, rotor, plugs, and wires
3-air filter looks clean
4-checked engine codes (replaced water temp sensor now all i get is code 55)
5-car heats up to normal temp. fine
6-fuel injector cleaner did NOT work (injector had nice spray anyway)
7-adjusted valve lash

by the way...i just did a through inspection all around the gas tank and along all the lines and i see no leaks.

The only things I can think of would be the fuel filter and ecu (not likely) and my cat. being clogged up. The car had the cat-back exhaust section replaced it looks like but the cat. itself is noticeablly older

·
M-Unit Racing
627 Posts
Change the fuel filter and see what happens. That would usually make your car lag a bit so I really dont know.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts