Nissan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the easyest way to pull out a fwd motor?

·
Proud owner of a GA16i
508 Posts
Sixways said:
What's the easyest way to pull out a fwd motor?
pull off the CV axles, disconnect the shifter at the transmission, pull off all connectors to the harness, (disconnect clutch cable,) disconncet accelerator cable. support engine w/engine hoist, remove hood, remove engine mount bolts. lift engine out of engine bay, tranny and all.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
and if u dont have a hoist get a couple stands and put your car up and use a floor jack and a couple of friends to lower it down and role it out, this is what im doin for my car even though i have a hoist because thats what is recogmended with a sr20det more specifically but for a smaller engine like a ga or e16 i would pull from top

·
Registered
87 Posts
when i got my engine rebuilt we took out the engine with a forklift and unbolted the tranny from the engine and left the tranny in the car. was pretty easy

·
Proud owner of a GA16i
508 Posts
the only reason I don't like this is because my 4 ton floor jack has a really crappy release valve. Once it's cracked, that thing is fully open, and drops like body bag full of dead babies tossed from the sears tower. Or something like that.

·
Ex-mod/nissan guru
2,136 Posts
safest would be from top with an hoist. if you got the right tool it can be safe from the bottom, but im still fiding it easier to pull it from top, even taught you could just drop it to the floor with the hoist :D

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a hoist and all, I'm just having a hard time with the axles. Do I really have to take apart the whole front hub to get it out?

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
all u haev to do to get the axel out is take out the cotter pin and one big nut with a washer, its not hard at all, a good kick with a breaker bar should get it right off and then yank the axles out, if u want u can disconnect the struts from the hub assembley to get a lil more movement and thats only 2 bolts aswell for each side , like 17mms or something. but if u do that dont forget to unclip the caliper hose from the shock , dont wanna rip it off while tugging at the axle

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
do you know what size the center nut is? I know I don't have a socet that big so i'll have to buy a new one.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
after u do that pull the hub side of the axle out first then pop the other end out with a screw driver or pry bar in the designated places and its gonna leak some fluid from where u pull the axle from the tranny so hav ea pan ready unless uve drained the tranny already

1 - 12 of 12 Posts