Nissan Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about installing some unorthodox racing pulleys in my 200. I have heard that pulleys will cause you to loose some of your accessories, mainly the a/c and heater. Is this true?

·
GA16DE
606 Posts
Nope
It is made of a lighter material, and usually with a diameter reduction
As long as you get one that has all the grooves the original pulley had you will keep all accesories
I am running an 'experimental' 33% reduced diam pulley in my e16 (since a couple months), and have no overheating nor voltage problems
We installed a 10% smaller pulley in a 200sx turbo and retained all accesories, more than a month ago and it runs quicker without problems
Only thing is you will need shorter belts...

·
Have I Hit 12's Yet?
5,325 Posts
that is a rumor. you wont lose your accesorries. it has no negative side effects

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry about all of the questions. Im not sure that i know as much as i thought i did, but i do have one more question. About how much horsepower will i be able to get out of installing underdrive pulleys. Im not sure if it matters but this is pretty much the first mod that i will be making to the engine. Thanks guys.

·
Mofo
2,225 Posts
GA16DE Results

At peak, we gained 1 to 2 horsepower. However, in the usable area of the powerband, 4000-5500 rpm, the power gain was 4 to 5 horsepower. A very respectable gain for a relatively inexpensive part, with no adverse effects.

We also noticed the GA16DE now revved much easier and seems to be smoother at highway speeds. This is of course based on our butt dyno, but never the less it was noticeable

-Nissan Performance Magazine

·
What is Seven Ten for?
2,917 Posts
nos put the info from the site, but you should check it out. nissanperformancemag.com they have all kinds of good info that is very well worth checking out.

·
Gotta Represent
403 Posts
meangrean, you shouldnt be looking for horsepower when you put the UR pulleys in, you will be gaining more torque at lower RPMS, without any negative effects.

·
GA16DE
606 Posts
The analogy would be to run with heavy shoes and then run with lightweight ones

·
What is Seven Ten for?
2,917 Posts
velardejose said:
The analogy would be to run with heavy shoes and then run with lightweight ones
very good, or swing 3 bats while your in the batter's box and only have one when you go up to the plate.

·
Registered
189 Posts
underdrive pulley=underdriven

Underdriven means not as large aside from light-weight.
The accessory "rumor" does apply to my a/c (when I run it in summer) here in AZ. It's fine while rolling but if you stop and idle it warms up and is useless.
The compressor is fine, I had it checked.
The charge level is perfect.
Like I said only at idle and only in this desert (120F).
So much for "myths"
The pulley that is "experimental" is prob. too underdriven and may drain your batt.
But they are great for more horse/accell and wouldn't trade mine for a nos kit. (just don't like nos, engines are expensive, I know "if you do it right" it might last 100k mi and some will say "oh that's great mi for nos" but just try to trade it in now! haha)

·
NPM Lead Editor/Webmaster
4,571 Posts
DanTheMan said:
Underdriven means not as large aside from light-weight.
The accessory "rumor" does apply to my a/c (when I run it in summer) here in AZ. It's fine while rolling but if you stop and idle it warms up and is useless.
The compressor is fine, I had it checked.
The charge level is perfect.
Like I said only at idle and only in this desert (120F).
So much for "myths"
The pulley that is "experimental" is prob. too underdriven and may drain your batt.
But they are great for more horse/accell and wouldn't trade mine for a nos kit. (just don't like nos, engines are expensive, I know "if you do it right" it might last 100k mi and some will say "oh that's great mi for nos" but just try to trade it in now! haha)
At idle in 120 degree temp? I bet it would be the same with or without the UR pulley in those conditions...

what experimental pulley? confused..

The myth should be someone wanting to sit in a idling car when it's 120 outside...lol

·
GA16DE
606 Posts
Must be refering to my 'experimental' e16 33% underdrive pulley
It's not experimental anymore, since my voltage didn't drop, and my ac works a lil less cold, but the engine/car feels quicker No overheating problems neither
I have it in my daily driver, it's summer here and not a single complaint :D
I have found (and made) 50% underdrive pulleys, but thats for racing aplications

·
Registered
114 Posts
Are you manufacturing these 33% Underdrive pulleys? I never run my A/C and do 99.9% of my driving at highway speed, so I think I could use these.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts