Nissan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of gear puller do you use to get the crank pulley off?

The one I bought can't pull the pulley off because the puller is too big. The legs don't have any clearance so I can't use it. I went shopping and all the gear pullers I saw are the same design. They'd work great if the frame wasn't there.

I have a 98 Sentra w/ a 1.6L.

Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just installed my UR pulley on Saturday. I used a two arm puller. It has a long center bolt that presses against the center while the outside pulls the pulley. If you use one similar to this be sure to put a bolt or something between the center of the crankshaft and the pulley so you don't strip the threads on the crankshaft.
One word of caution: it's a bitch to get off. The original pulley broke (chipped) on the sides trying to get it off. That pissed me off so I grabbed a thick towel, wrapped it around the pulley and with both feet against the car I yanked as hard as I could. Guess what? It worked. Anger does help sometimes but still be carfull. Also once I installed the UR pulley I had issues with the belt that goes around the alternator and water pump. It needs to be 42" long. I didn't have access to gates belts so they were cross referenced. I'll go get the brand / part #'s of the belts I used if you want them. Just send me a PM.
Hope this helps.it's a bitch to get off :D :rolleyes:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help TJ200SX.

I went and bought a 2 pronged gear pulley at sears and the pulley came off w/ no problem.

I'd like to add one thing about getting the pulley off. Its easiest to loosen the pulley w/ the car in gear and the tires sitting on the ground. With a breaker bar, I was able to easily loosen the bolt holding on the pulley. After you loosen the bolt you can jack up the car and go to town.

Now to update my signature. :)

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Hold up.....you took off the pulley without removing the passenger side wheel? I've had a pulley for months, but I'm afraid to try putting it on myslef. It sounds pretty easy.....from what I see here.

Copperhead, could you list all the tools you used? Did you use an impact wrench?

·
Registered
31 Posts
andre said:
Hold up.....you took off the pulley without removing the passenger side wheel? I've had a pulley for months, but I'm afraid to try putting it on myslef. It sounds pretty easy.....from what I see here.

Copperhead, could you list all the tools you used? Did you use an impact wrench?
I had to use an impact wrench to get the crankshaft bolt off. 14mm socket for the alternator pivot bolts. 10mm socket for the underpanels on the car. Don't forget to put antiseize compound on the crankshaft pulley before you install the new one.:p

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Thing is....I dont have access to an impact wrench....oh well, I guess it can wait a few more....um....months. :(

·
Destroyer of Engines
561 Posts
andre, I installed my pulley about a month ago and the only special tools I used were a breaker bar(bascially a long socket wrench) and a pulley puller.
You could probably do without the breaker bar by putting a pipe on the end of a socket wrench to increase the length of the wrench.
I wouldn't recommend trying this without a pulley puller though, I don't think I would've been able to get the pulley off without it. I got lucky there was one laying around in my parents garage that haden't been used in like 20 years.
As long as you have these tools, the job shouldn't be that hard. I thought removing/installing the pulley was easy, for me the hard part was finding how to get the belts off.

·
Registered
31 Posts
News Flash...
Most auto parts stores allow you to rent special tools to work on your car. The way it works here in S.C. is you pay the rental fee first, complete your task within 48 hours, and return the tools to the store. And guess what, they give ALL of your money back. The payment is just to be sure people return their tools.;)

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Yeah, I was gonna rent the pulley puller from autozone.

Did you take your wheel offf while doing it? Or did you work from above the engine....well, of course not...what am I thinking... :)

then again..I might just pay some mechanic to do it for me. :D

·
Registered
351 Posts
aminidab said:
for me the hard part was finding how to get the belts off.
wasn't it though?! I had alot of trouble finding the right bolts to loose to take off belts...

anyways, on a car with automatic transmission using reg. wrench may not work. We can not put our car in gear, so the engine will spin when you try to loosen or tighten crank bolt...

I don't see how you can reach the crank bolt without taking the wheel and the plastic fender cover off... it might be possible from the top, but that sounds like pita

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Yeah Serge, thats what I was thinking...that it would be easier with wheel off...but since he didn't mention it....

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In order to loosen the pulley, I put the passenger tire back on and set the car on ramps. The cover was removed too. then I loosened the bolt w/ a long breaker bar.

Then I took the tire back off after raising the car w/ the jack. I have a manual transmission.

That is the only part of the work I did w/ the tire on. every thing else I did w/ the tire and cover off.

I'm at work and can't list the tools. All the sockets I used w/ metric. I've got a basic set of sockets and wrenches. the only special stuff I bought was a
1/2" drive torque wrench
Bigger sized metric sockets (1/2" drive) up to 27mm (I'm guessing that size)
You need a 22mm or 27mm socket for the bolt holding in the pulley (I can't remember).

I would also suggest getting a book like chilton's that describes how to do some of the maintenance on the car. I had trouble finding which bolts would loosen the belts.

I'm sorry for not checking back on this thread. I just sort of fired off my "I'm Done" message and forgot about it.

PS: Also tighten the lug nuts BEFORE you test drive it. :) Fortunately I only got 2 blocks from my house before I realized I'd forgotten to tighten the lug nuts.

·
Registered
31 Posts
copperhead110 said:
Bigger sized metric sockets (1/2" drive) up to 27mm (I'm guessing that size)
You need a 22mm or 27mm socket for the bolt holding in the pulley (I can't remember).
It's needs a 27mm socket.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts