Nissan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
0302 EGR function - EGR control valve does not operate

0702 Catalytic converter - Possible three way catalytic converter defective. Check for injector problems, damaged exhaust tube or intake manifold leak.

These are what Im getting , anybody had one or the other codes and what fixed em ?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok,
I went out and checked the EGR valve , I manually opened the valve while the engine was running and the engine stalled so I know the EGR is not plugged and opens ok . I then started checking the vacuum lines and found the lower one on the control valve (goes to the base of the EGR by way of a metal tube that has a small rubber section on it) all rotten . I replaced the rotten section and then decided to mig-weld a piece of metal over a small hole in the exhaust pipe , about 2 inches from a O2 sensor .

I then cleared the codes and ran the engine at idle for 30 minutes with no code return , but I know the EGR will not actuate until Im under a load out on the highway .

Im thinking the combo of the EGR malfunction + the hole in the exhaust pipe might do the trick but I won't know till I can drive it .....

·
Mofo
2,225 Posts
I love the kind of questions, that answer themselves....lol
Wtg on fixing your ride. If your converter was damaged, you would know it. It would clunkand make all kind sof weird noises. So since you said that you had a hole in the exhaust, im assuming that the rear o2 was getting a weird reading, and caused the error code.
The egr fault was for sure caused by the damaged vacum hose.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
matcapir said:
good detective work, let us know if the codes come back.
Did some further checking just now , the EGRC-BPT Valve is toast or the EGR diaphragm is leaking .

The soleinoid is fine for the EGR system but one of the 2 valves listed above is leaking vacuum . Might be both problems , the 0702 and the 0302 .

Edit to add :

Just checked the EGR , it's fine so the EGRC-BPT is faulty . Anybody bought one of these before , and if so was it a dealer only item ?

·
Mofo
2,225 Posts
Lemondrop said:
Just checked the EGR , it's fine so the EGRC-BPT is faulty . Anybody bought one of these before , and if so was it a dealer only item ?
Im pretty sure that its a Dealer only item. Either that or a junk yard.

Oh and Justin, good job on polluting the earth. I hope is worth it. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
By chance is there a MIL eliminator like they have for Ford Mustangs when the converter is removed ?
If my converter is toast , Id rather not spend a fortune replacing it . I will find out when the other parts are replaced/repaired if I still get the 0702 .

Im sure it is still functioning , perhaps not at full capacity but it's not plugged and there is no smell from the exhaust when running .

I dunno , guess Im sweating it now before I even buy the parts for the EGR repair .

I just don't want a check engine light on .

·
Mofo
2,225 Posts
If you remove it, it will throw a code. I dont think they there is a code eliminator either.
You can always go with a cheap universal replacment. But the flow might be slightly restricted more than the oem cat.
I dont know much about emmissions in Fl, but in most states, if you have a code you will not pass smog. Even if the light is off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts