Nissan Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
i talked to my techs they would like to take a look at it, but they told me the issues with that truck were a bad ignition switch, oil in the distributor, and they wanted to know what motor do you have

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
i can't remember if i ask u ... did u check to see if the dizzy is in fact turning as you crank the engine ?
yeah its turning when it is cranking.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
i talked to my techs they would like to take a look at it, but they told me the issues with that truck were a bad ignition switch, oil in the distributor, and they wanted to know what motor do you have

it is the z24i 4 cyl. dizzy is new/used with no oil in it. as far as the ign switch were is it located and how do i test it??

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
ok never mind the last thing that i said. it cranks so how would the ign switch be bad.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
you have to check the ignition to see if it is energizing the igniton system and not just the starter..

and how would i go about doing that??

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
this is what i got with switched power on and the dizzy connector.

upper left battery voltage
upper right 4.88v
lower left 4.91v
lower right .011v i assume that this is a ground.

here is a pic of the connector as it is listed above.

i cant find a wiring diagram with the dizzy pigtail on it to see were these wires are supposed to go. id like to test coninuity of these wires to the ECU.

oh one more semi dumb question. i had the ECU in diag mode and forgot. is the switch on or off for the engine to run?? id hate to be thinking that i havent got it if that is in the wrong postion.:eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
ok here is what im working with here.

here are the ICMs (ign control modules) not sure but i think that i want to replace these
but at @$140 for both of them id like to eliminate everything else. they are very rusty
and one of them is cracked. if these are like coils then this might be my problem.?.?.?

any input is welcome! thanks guys!

·
Hardbody Freak
2,678 Posts
dude ,
we need to back up just a little. i know ur dizzy is good .

those pics of the icm and the coils..

the resistor pack is supposed to be on a frame mounted with the coils.

check you pm

unplug the coils and clean all that rust and crap up.

vacumn it out and wire brush down to where the coils would bolt up..

see if you can find the originall bolts the hold the coils in place ..remove them and wire brush down to bare metal..

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
^^thank you, and you have a PM.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
this truck should be running......:confused::lame:

i am not sure what i am missing here.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
got my new ign control modules today. we will see...................:eek:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
well the good is that the code 21 is gone now.

the bad is that the truck still does not run.:confused:

were do i go from here?????

·
Registered
11 Posts
Are you still getting codes? I have the holy grail for the 1986 z24i......The Electro Injection Supplement Manual! To clear code 23 (idle switch) depress and release the accelerator. To clear code 24 (neutral switch) depress the clutch, and put it in 4th or 5th gear, release the clutch, then depress the clutch, put it back into neutral, then release the clutch. The manual says you will always get code 23 and 24 which is normal. Once the codes 23 and 24 are cleared, you should then go to code 44 after that unless have any other codes that are being thrown. let me know what codes you are getting and I'll relay what the manual says to trouble shoot them. I can scan some pages for you too if need be.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #37

·
Registered
11 Posts
It does have a wiring diagram and the trouble shooting process for the injectors. I'm about 1/2 way through scanning it right now and will hopefully finish it tonight. I'll keep in touch.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
thanks man. those diagrams are great!

now i just haveto figure out witch one i need?!? there small.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts